Author Topic: Improvements come slow.  (Read 1189 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Improvements come slow.
« on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:33 pm »
I cleaned out my truck last night which is code for moved a bunch of flint cobbles from the get-together into the shop.  I honestly think I brought home some rock from almost everybody who came.  One of the chunks I pickled up off the debitage pile seemed to call to me so I chipped out a point.  I worked hard on the percussion, but still didn't get it thin enough as the silly thing is over 200gr.  I stalled the first notch almost instantly so I grabbed my pressure flaker and made bigger notches.  Ugly!  I should make a fish arrow for it. ::)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Improvements come slow.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »
It would also make a dandy little knife! ;)
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:12:26 pm »
I'd be happy w/ it.  sharpen it once or shorten the tip a bit more to bring the wieght down and shoot it.  You've been knapping non-stop for a bit now, give it a day and let your mind settle.  Then you be hot again.  ;) dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:15:41 pm »
George, When I have those pcs that are as thick as they are wide I try an tell myself to get aggressive with my thinning flakes, Sometimes you just tend to take lots of thin flakes an still end up with a thick points. When I get the aggresive mode its a go for broke  :(deal either thin  ;Dor nothing but debitage. :'( Later Bob

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:21 pm »
I like it alot !  'Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »
Thanks guys.  I'm sure you're right.  I whacked the heck out of it to get it pretty thin but then chickened out before it was really thin.  But, what also hurt me is that I started getting bad steps, also likely due to not hitting hard enough.  One I was able Ishi off, but I wasn't setting up good enough platforms as I'd have lost too much width.  Needed to do it earlier.  Funny, I have a better idea of what to do after watching the guys, but not pulling it off yet.  Need to make more gravel. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 05:25:17 pm »
George, I wouldn't be ashamed of that by any stretch! Nothin wrong with some of em endin up heavy. Just keep makin!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:31:56 pm »
Convert in into one of the point styles in the pictures.  These are all artifacts from Texas. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr