Author Topic: Need help with testing carp glue  (Read 818 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Need help with testing carp glue
« on: April 17, 2012, 02:53:37 pm »
I got a bunch of carp air bladders from Turtlecreek to make some glue and test it against sinew/hide glue.  I am having a hard time thinking of a good way to test them.  I don't want to glue two blocks of wood together like they did in TBB1.  Since the glue will be used for sinew backing, I want to test it with sinew.  I have a nice viking scale that goes to 100 lbs and if needed, I can use a scale that goes to 300 lbs.  I am shredding up a bunch of small deer tendons to make a new batch of glue.  I will make both batches of glue the exact same.  I was thinking of weighing out equal portions and lengths of sinew bundles and glueing them to the back of a piece of osage with a strong loop in the center.  Once it was fully dry, I would hook the loop on the scale and pull until the sinew came loose.  Do you think that will work?  Any suggestions would be great. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Need help with testing carp glue
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 03:11:52 pm »
You would be pulling perpendicular to the glue up. In use with bows isn't the stress more linear? I would think pulling from the end would be more like a bow.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Need help with testing carp glue
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:30:30 pm »
Just send me enough and I will do up a bow with it Clint!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.