Author Topic: I LOVE the way Shellac smells!  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
I LOVE the way Shellac smells!
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:16:51 pm »
...as well as toasted wood when heat-treating a bow's belly. (Elm and Osage smell the best to me)  Or...the smell of fresh-cut Osage.  I know it is toxic but I also like the smell of fresh-mixed Urac 185.  Anybody else have any nostalgic smells related to our craft they want to add?  :D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ErictheViking

Re: I LOVE the way Shellac smells!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:32 pm »
Beeswax, especially when melted and rubbed into a bow to seal it.  I love shellac to seal with but not the smell :) I would have to agree about heat treating. the smell from toasting the belly reminds me of campires. have only done vine maple and box store maple(whatever it was) so no preference to wood species. I really like the smell from any freshly cut wood, just makes me think of the outdoors.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 08:16:10 pm »
Something really good about the smell of hackberry
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 11:12:24 pm »
I love the smell of heating osage....mmmmm
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 11:17:40 pm »
Only wood I really like the smell of is sassafras. I never get tired of smelling that. Even ceder gets old after very long.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:18:45 pm »
I love the smell of cooking backstrap...that was killed with osage.  ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:53 pm »
Geez, stoneberg!  You don't play the trump card so early in the game!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 11:35:17 pm »
I love the smell of fletch-lac!  Takes me back to making my first dozen arrows almost instantly.  And the buzz is nice  ;D

Really love the smell of port orford cedar, makes breaking a shaft a little more bearable. Beeswax is heavenly.  So is douglas-fir pitch.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Adam

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 11:37:16 pm »
My favorites are sassafras and 50/50 beeswax/deer fat.  My wife, however, enjoys neither, so I have to keep them in the basement.

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:40:58 pm »
Lotta guys are posting how they like the smell of beeswax.  If you people ever get the chance to lean over a freshly opened beehive full of bees on a cool morning you are in for a treat.  The heat from the hive cluster rises up into your face carrying the smell of the honey, the wax, the pollen, the bees very own breath.  There is the sweetness, but a muskiness too from the bees themselves.  Along with the humming of the hive, the activity, and the hint of smoke from calming the bees is purely intoxicating. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 01:03:50 am »
Heating osage with EVOO on it smells like popcorn!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:28 am »
port orford cedar....  i don't use them for my arrow shafts anymore, but doggone it, that is what an arrow is supposed to smell like!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:37:26 am »
I agree with everything mentioned so far ;)  might i add tru-oil,linseed oil,fresh cut Hophornbeam has a sweet smell when just cut. And why hasnt hickory been mentioned yet?

Offline Kpete

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:11:23 pm »
I knew you guys were sniffing something!  I yooush to work, uh, in a ventilatincated rooooom, but now I can'th shee iv da vindowth is, uh, is ophen or shutticated.  :o???
Actually, the first wiff of a pronghorn buck brings a flood of euphoria.  You know you are in open country, lots of sky,  and liver and onions in the near future.   However, get a little of the "wax" from his sent glands on your fingers and you will get sick of it before too long.
Please be careful with the "toxic" fumes.  I lost a dear friend to brain cancer, and although it can't be proven,  years of fletching arrows professionally and other adhesive fumes were suspect.  I shared the "pronghorn perfume" with him and dearly miss him.  So...take the warnings seriously.
JW,  I have made some bee hives but have not been able to locate bees to put in them.  Those offering bees delivered to parts of Wyoming never return my calls.  Not sure about the success of shipping them here.  I want to smell the bees!