Author Topic: Bird point penetration test video  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Offline Tower

Re: Bird point penetration test video
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:37 am »
I have seen that video. I am impressed with his experiment. Bird points are really true arrow points for all game. When the horse was being utilized the bow had to be shortened.shorter bow means shorter arrow, shorter arrow means smaller arrowpoint. Maybe even faster arrow speed than The longer primitive bows. Anyone have a crono to test the idea?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:22:01 pm »
Cool vid, thanks for the post PB.  Wonder why they were doing that @ night?  You think they were in city limits? I bet having that deer strung up like that would cause some comotion in the right/wrong neighborhood.  >:D

I'm just sayin... :o, dpgratz  ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline warhawk

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:46:53 pm »
Applied science is so cool. i think that we need to apply reality to looking at artifacts in that they made things for their survival. We knapp for fun and enjoy perfection in the artform. They did these things for one reason to live another day.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:46:33 am »
Wow, cool video. I am not surprised at all that a sleeker arrowhead will penetrate well, what happens when they hit a rib head on?
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:09:06 am »
Cool vid, thanks for the post PB.  Wonder why they were doing that @ night?  You think they were in city limits? I bet having that deer strung up like that would cause some comotion in the right/wrong neighborhood.  >:D

I'm just sayin... :o, dpgratz  ;D

I think he said that his brother just shot it... so most kills happen at dusk or dawn .. . . don't know if they cleaned it or not, had to track it etc. 

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:17:25 am »
Applied science is so cool. i think that we need to apply reality to looking at artifacts in that they made things for their survival. We knapp for fun and enjoy perfection in the artform. They did these things for one reason to live another day.

I think you are right.  The perfect heads made today are the minority as far as I can tell to historical standards.  Some of Otzi's points looked like they came right from a smashed river pebble.  I also think they made the basic economic tradeoff decisions.  I'd bet they were alot more efficient at some of this stuff than we think.  We know there was early trade not only among early primitive people but even in this continent among tribes.  It begins to open the door to alot of things and possibilities.  If Og is particularily skilled at making the good stone tips, he can make a few more, say for me and I'll give him a portion of my kill or the grain I gathered or squash I grew.

That stuff fascinates me honestly.  I'm sure allot of guys were knapping but I wouldn't be suprised to find it centered around certain individuals in a community. 

It also makes me wonder about the cut width regulations that some states have.  What were the standards and reasons behind the regulations?  NJ for example requires 3/4" wide heads at a minimum.  I'm almost positive that stone/glass are not legal there.  Is there a broad head lobby?  Or some other reason for that sort of a regulation?

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 01:18:55 am »
Oops.  I meant to say that I bet they made the trade off decision to make smaller heads they could make quickly and aim well to drop game than spend all day on a big perfect head that might just as easily get broken, be harder to shoot and not necessarily kill the deer any faster.