Author Topic: first all wood bow pics!  (Read 15089 times)

Offline armymedic.2

Re: first all wood bow pics!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 08:47:47 am »
thanks for all of your compliments and comments guys.  the arrow was just completed last night, so i slapped a point on it for pics but didn't have time to cut it down.  it is probably like 31 inches or 30 (i cut mine to 27").    i was afraid to do much with the handle section because i didn't know if i could cut into bamboo without hurting the integrityof the bow.   my main goal was to tiller right and not snap it in half!  i will always leave a fat handle for my hands, but i could definitely have sanded more and faded it nicer.  i wasn't thrilled with the rest, but it was the first try at that so i am satisfied.  i think i will try it out of leather next time.   with all of your advice  i should have no problem!  i have to go to IRAQ next spring, but hope to build one more before i go.   i will do a build along so you guys can give me advice as i go! what would be your ideal lenghts for hickory/boo in a 65# draw?   I LIKE HEAVY HUNTERS ;D
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 08:49:58 am »
Congrats!  That's a durn site better than my first attempt.  Looks like you got those yard birds nervous.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 09:58:13 am »
Hickory/bo with a drawlength of 27 and 65lbs with a stiff non bending handle (I think a big one  ;)) I would try a bowlength between 62 and 68 inches.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 10:30:18 am »
That is  just an awesome bow. You did a great job. Looks like you used a hickory board. With boards it is a good idea to round off the corners for safety. Tiller is awesome! Keep up the good work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dane

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 10:56:36 am »
Doc, you did a great job! I really like the arrow, as well. The tiller, as others have pointed out, is dead on.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 02:46:57 pm »
tiller is spot on.  i think what everyone is saying about being over built has to do with your draw length vs. the length of the bow.  grip shape is a personal taste thing so each to their own.  for your 26" draw, a bow around 62-64" long would serve you better in hunting situations.  you would not have any problem cutting into the grip to make a shelf.  always remember, wood twice as wide is twice as strong - wood twice as thick is eight times as strong.  you can get away with a lot of cutting if the area of the bow is non-bending.  you could almost make that bow a center shot concidering the thickness of your grip.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

a finnish native

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 04:44:41 pm »
About the arrow rest thing, Have you ever tried to shoot with a bow that has no rest at all? I prefare shooting off my hand.
And good luck to IRAQ, you will need it if things are still going this way the next spring..

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 04:47:22 pm »
ah i see, boy a 64" bow would sure fit in the blind nicer  ;), i might have to give that one a try.  would that be considered an ambush bow then?

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 09:01:14 pm »
Great looking bow, you  did a fine job.
VB

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 09:37:18 pm »
fin,
i did try shooting off of my hand before i put the rest on just to check and make sure i didn't need to remove more tip wood for hand shock.  i was very surprised at how accurate it was, and i actually considered not adding a rest at all, but wanted to stick to the original plan so i did.  ----thanks for the luck.  i got a great bunch of guys going with me, i trust 'em.  we'll be fine ;)

Offline Dane

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:50 pm »
I was an 11B, and the docs were our best friends. Sounds like you are the guy to take care of your buddies. From me as well, the best of luck. Watch yourself there.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Gordon

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 02:42:37 am »
Congrats on your first bow, that one turned out very nice. I'm impressed with the tiller - it looks right on.
Gordon

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 02:46:06 pm »
Looking forward to seeing this war bow considered for August Backed Bow of the Month!!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2007, 03:57:55 pm »
You've done a fine job with that bow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 08:52:40 pm »
thsnkd guys, im enjoying shooting this bow more than any other in my arsenal of bought bows.   really can't beat your own make, even if it is only 140 fps ;D  part of the fun!