Author Topic: Lemonwood  (Read 2898 times)

Offline wolfman6

Lemonwood
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:54 am »
 Does anybody have a good source for lemonwood? The only places ive found online are in europe. And whats should I expect to psy for it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Kody

Offline Parnell

Re: Lemonwood
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:20 am »
Isn't it a Cuban wood?  I've often wondered being only 180 miles from Cuba.  Maybe we'll be seeing it hit our market in the next years...
1’—>1’

Offline wolfman6

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 10:45:15 am »
I think youre right about it being native to cuba but for some reason the only places online that ive found that sell it are in europe. trade embargo maybe?lol! but I do know lots of people have used it and bows are one its main uses from what ive read but seemingly little info on ere to get with out breaking the bank, osage is cheaper jeesh!

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:15 am »
Hard to believe the trade embargo seems to have beeen forgotten by many.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:00:35 am »
Unless you're really stuck on using it I would say don't bother. I've used a lot of it and althought it's perfectly possible to make good lemonwood bows it just seems to act a little 'soft' for it's density. The price of good stuff here in England is going through the roof and there are many better woods for a lot less money available. The true lemonwood is also know as degame be careful that what you are buying is this and not 'another' wood called lemonwood.

Offline wolfman6

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:34:48 am »
Thanks Mike, and thats just it, ive seen some beautiful bows both vintage and reacent made from lemonwood and Id really like to try it out, ive got a hankering for a lemonwood reflex/deflex or possibly a sinew backed static recurve.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 12:37:50 pm »
Hard to believe the trade embargo seems to have beeen forgotten by many.
At risk of sounding political... I don't think the Cubans have forgotten it O:).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 02:51:10 pm »
i had to go to Iraq just to find a good Stogy! WE DEMAND LEMON WOOD AND STOGIES!
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:34:50 pm »
I'm suprised it dosent grow in Fla.   It's not a commonlyused wood for other stuff.  I think the big issue is the comercalization of almost everything.  They are a core part of Bickerstaff Bows product line.  So they must have a consistant source.  I doubt they are shipping in from cuba but possibly.  It's a small Island I could see them running out if they are shipping the stuff commercially.  If it's the actual lemon tree I'd look around orchards.  Fruit trees like that don't live long and are being replaced frequently.

There are plans from the 50's for making longbows and flatbows that call for Lemonwood floating around on the web.  It used to be common I gather becasue they call it "cheap" wood.

I have those plans in PDF if anybody wants them.  Send me a PM.  I'd say use Osage or Hickory.   It's an availability thing.  Pluss Lemon wood tends to be shorts so it will need a splice.  Watch the Bickerstaff Bows videos on You Tube.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 04:06:27 pm »
Can someone give me a good design for a lemonwood bow. I have an old stave that was given to me and I'd like to build an appropriate bow with it. I was thinking about an American longbow either self(its a 68"x2"board) or backed with hickorybut I could do an ELB style also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 04:10:29 pm »
Pat,
I have a copy (pdf) of the plans for an American Flatbow published in Outdoor sports. If you want, I will send you a copy.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 04:22:31 pm »
That would love to see it, Bevan.   Send it to my home email.
Thanks!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 05:03:27 pm »
Found this on the web...

Degame grows in Cuba and also in a range that runs from southern Mexico through Central America to Colombia and Venezuela.

The name lemonwood, used most often in the United States, is a misnomer, said Paul Stone, part-owner of Renaissance Specialty Veneer Products (RSVP), in Corona, CA. "This tree isn't, in any way, part of the Lemon tree family. The name lemonwood most likely can be traced to the color of the wood, which is a light, rather than bright, yellow."

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 06:52:33 pm »
pat that lam white oak i posted last week was a HH bow from the 30's based on yew and lemonwood staves, it's half inch tips straight taper to inch and a quarter alb, 4" handle 1 1/4" up from center with a d cross section, length dependes on draw length, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 07:23:28 pm »
Thanks Boddy.  I'll check it out.  ;)