Author Topic: Some knapping tool questions  (Read 2878 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Some knapping tool questions
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:21:42 am »
Question 1: What is the preferred method of cutting grind stones? I have a couple of 1/3 wheel pieces I got with my 'kits' when I bought them. I like smaller pieces but I just don't what to hit them with a hammer and hope for usuable pieces.

Question 2: How do you mount horseshoe nails into a handle to make notchers?

Question 3: How do you 'shape' the notcher point? Hammer? File? Both? Some pics would really help.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Some knapping tool questions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:24:44 am »
Errr.  My computer runs slow and uploading the pics is a pain. 

I use two thing mostly.  A copper rod stuck into a stick that prodtrudes about an inch.  Say 1/4" rod?  I bet brass or bronze would work.  The idea is that the softer metal will get a better bite on the stone.

I also use a duplex nail that I cut in 1/2' and drilled a matching hole into a piece of antler and epoxied it in with the point sticking out.  I love that thing.  I don't realy abrade.  But then I start with flakes.  there is a way to skip abrading with a small up flake then the real flake. 

I bet the duplex nail hammered to a bit of a paddle shape and filed round would be nice also.  I just keep the original shap maintained with a file.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:54:35 am »
#1, score them with a nail or file or anything that will score them and break it across the work bench.  Keep your eye out and find a strip mall or fast food joint that has the red pumice or lava rock for landscaping.  That stuff works pretty good.

#2 See picture.  This stuff is pretty cheap @ a decent hardware store.  I made several points for the same handle. 

#3 I don't really have a "notcher" specific yet, but I hammered my copper first and keep it cleaned up w/ a file or abrading stone. 

I've been getting into abrading now and find it helpful, but I'm still poopin my pants when it comes to knapping, hope to move up to big boy diapers @ the Classic.  :)

(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 03:33:13 am »
I've never cut a stone, if I want a smaller piece I stick a 3/8" dowel under two sides and pop it with a hammer.   Just hit hard enough to break it, not crush it.  I use antler but hardwood would work the same.  Cut straight into the end about an inch or so, then cut in from the side so the cuts meet.  An L shape cut.  Lay the horseshoe nail on one piece and trace around it.  Then I use the dremel to grind it out the depth of the nail.  Once it fits tight I put the pieces together. And wrap It with leather to hold It.  The nail is already narrow but can be ground a little thinner.   Thinner nails work better on thinner bases.  I will take a pic in the morning.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:09:37 am »
bevan go to flint knapping info, they show how to make all kinds of tools, if ya go to wally world and get a $2.00 icepickyou can cut it off about 3-4" long and then file it flat and narrow the tip for a pressure flaker, built in handle that wont loosen up, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:41 am »

Hi Bevan here are a few pressure flakes that I use.  The copper pressure flakers have wooden handels and a replaceable copper tip.  The tips are made from ground wire and are twisted 1 turn then hammered to a point.   The twisting and hammering will hardened the copper.  To sharpen the copper I use a file. 
I also use a horseshoe nail to do some of the small detail pressure work.  I bought some pipe fittings and made the following from them. 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!