Author Topic: Board bow backing  (Read 1652 times)

Offline grinner

Board bow backing
« on: April 06, 2012, 01:06:34 am »
HI, I am making a board bow and I want to back it with snakeskin but i want to make sure it is not going to break when tillering or be way to low of poundage. My question is could i back it with linen and then put the snake skin over it when I am all done?
Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Board bow backing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:15:21 am »
You can add linen, silk, brown grocery bag paper or rawhide and add the snake skins over that. The backings will "help" protect the back but a bow with bad grain (run offs back to belly and side to side), knots or other maladies can still break with any of these backings.
  Once you build your bow, shoot it at least 100 shots(more the better) before you add the snake skin backing to be sure it will hold up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:17:20 am »
 What Pat said. ;)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline grinner

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:20:07 am »
ok thanks for the help

Offline grinner

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:54:59 pm »
Would I be better off putting 2 layers of paper bag and then the snake skin?
Thanks

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 02:10:46 am »
Paper drywall tape works good, is cheap, and comes in a unbroken length. Should be enough to back a few bows.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »
Whatever backing you choose to use, I would suggest to only use one strip.  Multiple layers of cloth, paper, etc. will not give extra strength, it will only add unwanted weight to the limbs, slowing down the bow's action. 
Personally, I would go with a silk or linen backing, then shoot the crap out of the bow like Pat says.  Then, when you are sure its a keeper, do the snake skin, or- you could paint a snake pattern on the backing, and save the snake skin for a really nice wood selfbow (I am assuming red oak board, you didn't mention).

Just a thought.
Mike

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 02:42:22 pm »
Like Mike said, only one layer of any backing material is sufficient. More is overkill and will detract from the performance of your bow.
  If you don't think brown grocery bag paper and glue are strong coat a piece of brown paper with glue and let it dry. Now try to mpull it apart! Not tear but pull like a bow would do when drawn. The combo of the paper and the glue is way stronger than either by themselves. Most paper is made from wood fibers.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC