Author Topic: First snake skin bow!  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Okla-archer

First snake skin bow!
« on: April 06, 2012, 07:36:03 pm »
I just finished putting the snake skin on my first bow.  Its a Tiger rat snake from south america.  I was able to do both limbs from one snake. I just have to let it dry before I can put a finish on it and wrap the handle.  I'm thinking about alligator for the handle. Can I use a polyurethane like deft or should I use shellac for finishing over the skin?

Joel

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: First snake skin bow!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 07:44:07 pm »
Poly-U, Tung Oil, Spar Urethane are the ones that I've used.  All with good results.  If brushing on, I've used a cheap sponge brush.  First I dipped the brush in thinner and let most all of it run out.  Then dipped it in the finish to brush on.  Otherwise, what I do today is, fill a PVC tube with finish.  (The initial investment is a bit.)  Then I dip half the bow at a time in the tube, let the excess run back into the tube then hang to dry with newspapers or something underneath so as not to ruin my floor.  When the first dip is dry, usually overnight, then I dip the other half of the bow.  I usually dip 3-4 times total each limb with snake skins on.

Be sure to remove the scales from the snakeskin when it is dried prior to dipping for the first time.  Good Luck!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Okla-archer

Re: First snake skin bow!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 07:47:30 pm »
Thanks for the advise. The scales don't wanna come off easily right now. It still a little wet, even after 3 days (its been raining some this week).