Author Topic: In the process of making a bow and have a question.  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Pretzelcoatl

In the process of making a bow and have a question.
« on: April 05, 2012, 01:43:07 am »
Ok so i am in the process of tillering the bow and i almost got it to brace height when i noticed that the bottom limb is twisting a bit to the left toward the tips. This is a board bow and it is backed. I'm just wanting to know what you all think the problem is. I've already taken off wood on the side that is not bending properly but she is still twisting a bit. She is just fine and straight when unstung, it's only when tillering is that i notice the twist. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

Offline aclewis3

• Houston, TX
Re: In the process of making a bow and have a question.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:47:48 am »
I just finished up my 2nd board bow and it is doing the same. It doesn't seem to be affecting tiller. Is this worth trying to fix or let it be? thanks.

Aaron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 01:48:39 am »
Check the thickness of either side of the twisting limb and you will probably find one side thicker than the other. Even out the thickness and it should pull straight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:20:01 am »
Ditto what Pat B said. Run your fingers down the limbs; thumb and index finger of each hand and each hand one side of the limb. Your fingers are very sensitive for minor changes in thickness. I bet you can feel one side of the limb(s) being thicker than the other. Fix this by scraping the thicker side from the belly.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:48 am »
I do what Darksoul describes to figure out thickness taper. Eyes closed, you can really get a feel for bumps and uneven tapering. A great way to avoid hinges.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline Pretzelcoatl

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »
Hi i actually did try to fix this problem and i got the side that is not bending enough shaved down significantly smaller than the other one.
but it is still twisting. I ended up creating a severe hinge on the bottom limb toward the tips and now the bottom limb is much thinner than the top limb. Maybe i will cut the limbs on either side to create a short bow. I'll just see how it works out later today.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »
Twist is more than likely the result of using bias cut wood. Do the growth rings run at an angle in that area?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 06:35:50 pm »
Well, tough to keep straight which side to remove wood from. The weakest side is the side that would be closest to the string if the stave was strung. The strong side is the high side. You remove wood from the high side. Could be you did it the other way around. If you had removed wood from the strong side you would have fixed the twist. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pretzelcoatl

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:08:13 pm »
Thanks George thats exactly what i did. Im almost done with it. I ended up cutting each limb by 10 inches. The bow is now 52 inches long and pulling about 30# at  25''. Im going to be prettying her up tomarrow by sanding her down and staining her and applying finish when that is dry. ;D
Thanks for the help guys!