Author Topic: Turkey hunting and hard boiled eggs  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Turkey hunting and hard boiled eggs
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:14:26 am »

This has got to be a first. I spent part of the week and most of the day tearing down an old farm building for a neighbor to partially repay a debt for his help and kindliness.

All week long the turkeys have been active and pretty well let me know they knew I didn't have my bow close at hand. These guys have been fanning the hens and me within twenty yards paying me no mind.

Since tomorrow is my day of rest I decided to break early around 6PM and head home to prepare to pay these vultures a bit of due respect come early morning.

So i do my outdoor solar shower thing and in the background along the creek bottom all that can be heard are the birds a chirping, the squirrels a chattering, the creek water falling over the beaver damns and them danged vultures a goblin away.

Just bought me 2 dozen fresh farm eggs and decided to boil 1 dozen up for snacks and deviled eggs for the weekend. Got that water to boiling and threw them in the pot.

Then I set down at this here puter and logged on the the Leatherwall but wanted to let you know that you all are partially to blame too.  Because of all of the interesting subjects posted tonight I was mesmerized and somehow time done escaped me.

Next thing I sense is the sound of water done boiled out and a tad bit of a smoke aroma in the air.

OH sheet! Somehow I'd done forgot about those hard boiled eggs.

Turned that burner off, pulled that pan and stuck her under the coldest water I could find. You'd a thought chicks were ready to hatch cause those old eggshells just a cracked.

Just to let you know, all is well, they have a taint of smoke flavor but with a bit of salt and pepper and a little Louisiana Hot Sauce, they'll do this old bird fine.

Now I got me some snackin for that early morning turkey hunt.

Anybody else ever burned hard boiled eggs before? I'm 62 years old and a first for me.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Turkey hunting and hard boiled eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:37:44 pm »
LOL I am easily distracted too.  I have used the smoke alarm as an oven timer many times in my life, and Im  only 30!   ;D Go get them birds!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 04:54:11 pm »
There was this one morning when I spent a frantic hour turning my house inside out trying to figure out what the heck I had done to my shotgun.  A friend that was going turkey hunting with me drove up about then and I made some remark about how it was his day to get the bird and how I was going to do all the calling for him.  We drove in silence to the spot I had scouted the morning before and had seen some really nice gobblers.  Since the sunup was getting close, we hustled in under the last cover of darkness and took up positions under two of the larger ponderosa pines about 60 yds from  the roost. 

But before the hens could start their quiet morning pillow talk I hear my buddy snickering in the dark.  I softly questioned his need for snickering when he replied.  "You left your gun here yesterday, idiot!"

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 03:27:23 am »
There was this one morning when I spent a frantic hour turning my house inside out trying to figure out what the heck I had done to my shotgun.  A friend that was going turkey hunting with me drove up about then and I made some remark about how it was his day to get the bird and how I was going to do all the calling for him.  We drove in silence to the spot I had scouted the morning before and had seen some really nice gobblers.  Since the sunup was getting close, we hustled in under the last cover of darkness and took up positions under two of the larger ponderosa pines about 60 yds from  the roost. 

But before the hens could start their quiet morning pillow talk I hear my buddy snickering in the dark.  I softly questioned his need for snickering when he replied.  "You left your gun here yesterday, idiot!"
know a guy did the same thing but didn't find it for a month, a month of rain, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:51:47 am »
Turkeys must have known I had the day off. Went out early and again later in the day but didn't even hear them. At least I had a snack and it was a beautiful day.
I'm also glad to hear that other minds wander off path from time to time, but JW, losing a shotgun, now that's serious.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 06:55:26 pm »
Yeah, $800 benelli, to boot. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 01:14:38 am »
Boiled eggs give me gas. Don't eat them when Im going hunting.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah