Author Topic: Log sealing and splitting  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Tortoise

Log sealing and splitting
« on: April 03, 2012, 01:15:21 am »
Just cut some mesquite I'm going to test out, and I was wondering where you get (or make) log end sealer. I heard this is a crucial step with the stave process so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks
EDIT: I would also like to know how to properly split logs. I'm a newbie, never had hardwood logs to work with until now.  :)
-Peter
Arizona

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Log sealing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:17:27 am »
I use polyurethane or shellac depending on what's cheapest.  Wood glue and a list of other stuff will work also.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online JW_Halverson

Re: Log sealing and splitting
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:48:17 pm »
A cheap sealer can be found at paint stores....ask them for damaged cans or mis-tinted cans on clearance.  Who cares what the color is, it will seal the wood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:53:08 pm »
The cheapest and my favorite for sealing the backs of osage staves, after Ken on paleoplanet hipped me to it, is regular elmers glue. I like titebond 3 for sealing the ends. Well, I wouldn't say it is exactly the cheapest on second thought, but it ain't too expensive and it works.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline dwardo

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 06:52:27 am »
Just cut some mesquite I'm going to test out, and I was wondering where you get (or make) log end sealer. I heard this is a crucial step with the stave process so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks
EDIT: I would also like to know how to properly split logs. I'm a newbie, never had hardwood logs to work with until now.  :)

Certainly no expert but i did spend last weekend splitting. Its hard to give a guide but sharp wedges and atleast 3 of them to start, either hardwood or metal. If metal dont use an axe. Splitting things into halves is always easier than into thirds if that makes sense? When splitting into halves you have equal pressure in each half. If the split starts to wonder and the grain is straight you can pull the split back in using a sharp wedge.
Clear as mud? Hands on practice is all i can say and think about every split first as you cant stick it back together again! ;)

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:39:36 pm »
Howdy Tortoise,

Maybe you have already split the log by now?  But, if not...

My dad showed me how to split a log.  (He is a woodsman from the OldSchool). 
He pointed out the importance of "training" the crack at the beginning.
First, on the end of the log, draw a line through the center where you want the split to be.
Then, with a hatchet, score the log along that line up and down by giving the hatchet a good tap and then moving the hatchet along the line, a little at a time, giving it a good tap each time you move it.  You do this a number of times.  And, after a short while the end of the log will have an actual, small visable crack along that line.  And, once the crack is established across the diameter of the log, you've "trained" the log by giving it a straight-line crack to follow.  Doing this will greatly improve your chances of getting a good clean split the whole length of the log. 

You can now go at it with a heave hammer and splitting wedges.

I hope this was helpful,
Canoe 
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:36 pm »
   any Latex house paint will be just fine for sealing the staves and most people have leftovers from one project or another .
 ;
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:53:06 am »
Thanks for the help guys! I used a sealer called mod podge (I think you spell it) It seems to be working very well, and yes it isn't waterproof, but I live in Arizona so that wouldn't be an issue. One last thing, do I need to seal the stave after splitting the log?
-Peter
Arizona

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:40:37 am »
Just the ends.  But, if you remove the bark and sapwood, you will need to seal the backs that you exposed. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left