Author Topic: Design for my first Osage selfbow ?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Grizzzly

Design for my first Osage selfbow ?
« on: April 03, 2012, 12:50:49 am »
Well ... I have built red oak board bows and 2 selfbows from Ash staves. My girlfriend surprised me with my first Osage stave .. She purchased it from someone on Ebay. Is she great or what ?!? The guy told her it was dry and ready to work. It looks pretty good to me, has some small knots and some character to it. Looks to be fairly straight, not twisted and has been sealed. I am going to get the sapwood off and take the back down to the first good ring and then put some pics up. My question is what design to use for this bow. My draw length is only 26" I'm looking for around 45-50#. I wasn't sure whether to make a stiff handle bow or a slight bend in the handle design. I'd like to keep the bow 64" or under and I don't want to back it. I am going to hunt with it so I want it to be durable and accurate. What are your opinions ? Thanks, John
NW  NJ

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: Design for my first Osage selfbow ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:35 am »
hmm, my opinion is that you have a great girlfriend ;D, i would go with a bendy handle design, that's just my personal preference, but it would allow you to go shorter and be safer
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 01:14:10 am »
John, you could go as short as 60"(if you feel confident) but 62" to 64"(even 66") are a good length for 26" draw. That's what I draw.  I like to use a bulbous style handle and have the limbs bend right up to the handle at full draw. You could go 1 3/8" to 1 1/2" at the fades and out 6" to 8" before tapering to 1/2" tips(for now) This is a pretty basic layout but will make a very nice, stable hunting bow. Lay it out considering the placement of the knots, character , etc.  Draw a center line down the stave following a single grain and lay the bow out along this center line. If the grain gets wavy, follow it. Don't worry about if the center line is straight right now. Following the grain is more important. We will help you get good string allignment later when the time comes.
  For now leave the handle area and the last 6" of the tips bulky(1/2"x1/2"). You may need the extra "meat" later to get good string alignment and you don't need either area to tiller your bow.
  Pics of the stave and the character in it would help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Grizzzly

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:39:26 am »
Thanks for the advice guys ... Pat, I like that design I think. Working the limb right to the handle, I like the bulbous grip too. As soon as I get my back ring chased and done I will get some pics up. I hope to get some of that done this weekend.
NW  NJ

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:56:31 am »
I afree with Pat, except I like my bows 62 or less.  My favorite is 58.  All in personal preference.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley