Author Topic: Good deal?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Good deal?
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:07:13 am »
A couple weeks ago my wife shot a neighbor boy's little Academy variety 15lb compound bow and really enjoyed it...mentioned trying to sell off some of her toys to pick one up so we could both go out and do some shooting together.  I've been wanting her to get into the "game" but have not had a bow she could shoot...I'm terribly inadequate at making a light bow and, sadly, I never gave it enough priority in thought to get her a bow.  Shame on me.  How, no that SHE has mentioned it I do feel it may be something she'll be more excited about doing.  So I made some calls.

I offered my favorite bow, a hickory backed oak piece, for a youth bow.  What I found was this:

Someone traded my longbow for a High Country Sniper, a Darton Model 20MX, and a PSE Nova Jr.

I hated seeing my bow go, but I'll make another.  I'm pretty excited about the wheelie bows, though.  Not my style, but it'll be fun to do something of the like with the missus.

Just sharing.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline johnston

Re: Good deal?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 12:28:53 pm »
Your wife wants to shoot.
You are a bow maker.
And these contraptions are what you came up with?

Kinda sad, man....kinda sad. ??? :(

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »
Your wife wants to shoot.
You are a bow maker.
And these contraptions are what you came up with?

Kinda sad, man....kinda sad. ??? :(

Unfortunately, my skill in making a light enough bow is right up there with your reading comprehension.  Maybe after she gets some strength and can draw a proper bow, I'll make her something you approve of but, in the mean time, it's more important to me that she gets started.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:47:35 pm »
Good deal....don't let the purists get ya down. ;)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »
She's gotta start somewhere. Any bow is better than no bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 02:56:22 pm »
Many of us (myself included) got our bowhunting start with wheels. Good for you trying to get her in the game. Nothing wrong with where your head's at, just remember it's a journey...

Scott

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 04:12:33 pm »
I'm considering them "training wheels" haha...but if she wants to stick with them I won't have a single negative thing to say about it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 06:02:46 pm »
After reading Eddies school story it matters not what she shoots, just add her name to the list of people they will have to fight with to take our rights away. Good on you for getting her a bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:36:47 pm »
Boy, you score big points in my book to give up your home made bow in order to get your wife set up.  I would rather see the two of you shooting these Bud Tuggly wheelie bows than her fuming in one part of the house while you are building yet another bow for yourself in another.  Ya done gone and did the right thing!   ...even if the results take away my appetite!   >:D

Meanwhile, start putting a bug in her ear about her making the next bow.  Who knows, maybe she will make one for you, too?!?! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline johnston

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 10:30:19 pm »
You are right. My bad and I apologize.

Lane

Offline makenzie71

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 11:51:00 pm »
You are right. My bad and I apologize.

Lane

I appreciate you taking the time to say as much and, in my own part, my response was not exactly the most mature thing I've ever written.  You have my apology as well and I will simply forget all about it.

So far she's enjoyed it immensely!  She spent all afternoon yesterday shooting it...says she can't feel her fingertips today.  Didn't keep count yesterday but today she shot 66 times (6 arrows a set, 11 sets).  I turned the Darton down to 35lbs and she was able to draw it a couple times but isn't very steady.  A month from now she'll be able to draw it steady and nice.

She's been shooting fairly consistent, too.  Shooting at 20ft or so.  About one in every 5 is off the wall but getting better.  Real cheap arrows.  I told her after she gets good enough to hit the target every time we'll get her some good arrows.  She's also refusing to shoot with a sight apparatus, which suits me.  It'll make shooting traditional later an easier transition.

A lot of fun so far.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 12:15:04 am »
sweet you will enjoy the times to come.  My wife's first bow was an old compound with wood and fiberglass limbs that her father handed down to her when he passed. did not take here long to ask me to make one for her.  made her a bamboo backed hickory 30 pounds at here draw lenght.  Don't know how tall your wife is mine is 5' 1" and has a very short draw so hitting 30 pounds at here draw length is like hitting 45 to 50 at mine.  Keep that in mind if she has a short draw length hitting low poundage is not hard.  Was not long after that she wanted a self bow so I made here a Osage static recurve at 40 pounds at here draw length.  Just at the top of here comfort level on weight.  Now wants to learn to make her own self bow,  there is a post on it.  she already has about 3 hours in it and cant wait for it to dry out so she can finish.  she tried knapping her first arrow head yesterday and is working on her own arrow shafts as well.  I never asked her hey you want to do this or that she has come to me every time saying i want to do this or that.  If they don't come to you with it they probably wont be as excited about it.  enjoy every minute of it and don't put any pressure on her let her tell you what she wants.  Keep the intrest and fun at a max.  Good job on the wheelies don't matter what she is shooting as long as she is shooting with you.  She will want to upgrade before long no worries.  My wife even took her first shot at a game animal this past spring missed but gave it her all with that osage bow.  was a dang nice tom to.  Oh well deer season is around the corner.  Keep the good times rollin its all that matters in the end.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:50:00 am by boughnut »