Author Topic: New, Questions about recurve bow!  (Read 2130 times)

Offline thesantaman

New, Questions about recurve bow!
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:56:35 am »
Hey guys so i'm completely new to bow making, and I have a few questions. 

I took one look at a recurve bow and decided it was the one I wanted to make, however I have some confusion about what I need and how to make it.  I went and bought a red oak board 6 ft, by 6 inches and 1 inch thick.

Here's my questions:  I have looked at some guides for making bows, on youtube, and this site.  However none are very specific on the recurve and how to make it.  I know you have to shape it with heat, and that I think I can manage.  But some guides on the layout and initial plans would be super helpful. 

The picture included is the shape I am going for.  I think it's absolutely amazing.  Thanks!!

Offline Josh B

Re: New, Questions about recurve bow!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 02:05:31 am »
That's gonna be pretty tough to pull off for a first bow.  I would recommend a pyramid style flat bow to get started .  George T has a website with step by step instructions towards that endeavour.  The information on his site also includes board selection.  Not all boards will make a bow. Undoubtedly he will see this and get you lined out.  Look forward to seeing your work.  Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 04:26:34 am »
The bow pictured is a Composite bow which in the bow making world is the single most difficult bow to construct, and takes a long time time to construct, sometimes months. I've been building bows off and on for 7 years and just thinking about making a composite bow is intimidating.

Try a simple design first. Like just a straight long bow or like he said wide and long. Get about 50 bows under your belt, do a few weeks of research then attempt this bow. Every peice has to fit PERFECTLY.
As far as recurves there are 2 types static and working here's a great example of a working recurve
 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html

Can't wait to watch your progress.
Welcome to Primative Archer!
Everyone here is more than willing to help you out and guide you in the right direction.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:35:20 am by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 02:39:19 pm »
I agree with the other posters - such a bow would be an exceptionally challenging project to begin with. You may want to consider first learning the basics by attempting some simplier designs.
Gordon

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:28 pm »
If you make that bow on a first attempt....Gordon should give up bow building! ;D
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 04:37:58 pm »
I agree with everything that everyone has said, and want to add that although red oak is a good bow wood, it would never build this type of bow... No matter how good you were as a bowyer... Good luck on your first.

Jon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:45 pm »
If you make that bow on a first attempt....Gordon should give up bow building!

Amen to that brother!  ;D
Gordon

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:54:54 pm »
When you get the basics down on tillering and design on a straight bow, then you can ease into recurves a little at a time.  There are a lot more dynamics in play when you start recurving , reflexing, or what ever.  After a few flatbow, you can move on to recurves and then 5 curves and on and on.  Here is a fairly simple vaguely 5 curve you can try after you get the basics down.  This better done with a stave than a board, preferably hickory or Osage for your first try. Remember to get the basics down before you try any fancy stuff.    ;) Josh
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:09:22 pm by Gun Doc »