Author Topic: Warning about sinew backed bows  (Read 2693 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Warning about sinew backed bows
« on: March 27, 2012, 02:54:51 pm »
Don't leave them in a hot car!

I am just about finished with a sinew backed hickory bow and I took it to work last night to show a coworker.  When I got home this morning, I left it in the car for a little while.  It was maybe 2 hours before I went back out to get it.  It wasn't very hot outside, but it was very sunny.  One of the recurves was in the sunlight.  When I picked it up, I noticed the backing lifted on the edge that was in the sun.  It was very warm.  I checked the entire bow and it only lifted where the sun was hitting it.  I put some thin super glue under the backing and clamped it down.  I think I'll wrap the tips in sinew too.  Hopefully I can save it.  I sinewed this bow over a year ago.  I was ready to sand it and seal it and it was done. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Warning about sinew backed bows
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:09:50 pm »
That sucks. I always hate to hear when a good friend (your bow being your good friend I mean  :laugh:) is having any problems. Hopefully it will end up being ok. On a contrary note, I always let my sinew backed bows sit out in my van in the hot sun for a day or maybe two days to make sure they are dry before tillering. (after a month or two of normal drying of course). And on and off again threw the bows life to pull it back into reflex.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:10:12 pm »
Bloody "H" Outlaw!!!

That is a Sad Tale!
I hope you can save it...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:13:01 pm »
That seems odd Clintster? Just how stinkin hot was it in the car?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:38:36 pm »
It was warm, but not hot.  I think it was the sun heating up the knox glue.  The bow was very warm to the touch where it released.  The rest of it was cool.  I just looked that bow over yesterday and it was fine.  I left the bow in my car at work last night and it got pretty cold.  Maybe it was the drastic change in temp. that made it release.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »
That is odd....i never have had any problems "hot boxing" my sinewed bows to speed seasoning in my all black car,and they sit in the sun on the dashboard and get up to in excess of 120 degrees...mightve had a weak glue joint there. Like not enough glue,or it wasnt degreased well enough there??? I dont know...wierd? ???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 03:44:08 pm »
I have read books that stated some of the old school guys would leave their bows in the sun intentioanlly to make them faster. Maybe we know the diff between Knox and the real deal now? Just a guess.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 04:02:00 pm »
I have read books that stated some of the old school guys would leave their bows in the sun intentioanlly to make them faster. Maybe we know the diff between Knox and the real deal now? Just a guess.

And i use knox

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 04:06:58 pm »
We can rule that theory out.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:18:38 pm »
That sucks!!! 

I hope it's fixable...  I've yet to sinew a bow because it takes soooooooooo long, dang!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »
That is odd....i never have had any problems "hot boxing" my sinewed bows to speed seasoning in my all black car,and they sit in the sun on the dashboard and get up to in excess of 120 degrees...mightve had a weak glue joint there. Like not enough glue,or it wasnt degreased well enough there??? I dont know...wierd? ???

Could have been a bad glue joint or something.  I degreased the wood thoroughly before sinewing it.  I learned that lesson on my first sinew job.  I used cooking oil to heat and straighten the bow.  I didn't get the oil off good enough and the backing lifted right off.  I degreased the crap out of it and tried again.  That backing is still holding.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 04:53:54 pm »
That sucks!!! 

I hope it's fixable...  I've yet to sinew a bow because it takes soooooooooo long, dang!!!

You should try it Coaster.  It really is a lot of fun.  I'm working on a little something special to sinew back.  I just flipped a limb tip 10 minutes ago  ;D