Author Topic: Hackberry bow question before I cut (photo's added)  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Sempertiger

Hackberry bow question before I cut (photo's added)
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:16:33 am »
I have a seasoned hackberry stave with a single ring chased. It's 70" long and the widest I can make the limbs is 1 11/16. I was planning on making it into a pyramid, but I'm thinking I can only get a 45lb bow out of it. Is this a correct weight for this design? is there a design that I can use to pull off a 50-55 lb bow?

I'll post pictures once I get it drawn out.

Jamison

there is also some discoloration on both ends that concerns me, just because I'm not sure what it is. Is that natural, or some kind of fungus?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:26:46 pm by Sempertiger »
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Hackberry bow question before I cut
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:04:07 pm »
With the length of that stave, I think you should be able to get your full 50-55 lbs. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:21:59 pm »
Seems to me you would get more weight if you used a more parallel profile, admittedly i don't really have any experience with pyramids, but either way i don't see a problem with you making that weight, even more potentially.  Pearl Drums has done several hackberry bows and has a favorite parallel limb recipe which seems to work really well.  I used it on a scaled down version (20#) with very narrow limbs and it's a quick shooter for the draw length and weight. 

Whichever way you go, make sure you post your progress for us so we can drool  ;)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:35:06 pm »
I have a seasoned hackberry stave with a single ring chased. It's 70" long and the widest I can make the limbs is 1 11/16. I was planning on making it into a pyramid, but I'm thinking I can only get a 45lb bow out of it. Is this a correct weight for this design? is there a design that I can use to pull off a 50-55 lb bow?

I'll post pictures once I get it drawn out.

Jamison

My first Hackberry was about that wide and 64”s 54 @27 ....  my fastest bow to date and still shooting strong. I toasted the limbs. I love Hackberry, great bow wood!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)