Author Topic: nock styles  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Matt A

nock styles
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:00:03 am »
anyone know anything about a nock that is like a pin style, but in the shape of say a teardrop?

Offline Parnell

Re: nock styles
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:23 am »
Think I know what you mean - Kinda spoon-like?

Only real thing I figure after a few years of makin' em is the less wood past the string the better, so long as it's not going to break on you when stringing the bow.  I'm always amazed at how little wood can be at the tips of a bow when looking at bows from fellas who've been at this for some time.  Handles and nocks are where a lot of my time and consideration are being spent now.
1’—>1’

Offline Matt A

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:35 pm »
yeah they're like normal tip width at the beginning, get really skinny where the string sits then the tear/willow shape part is where your stringer goes. I can't find any pictures of em anywhere but i've seen em in magazines, really pretty when they got 2 layers

Offline Matt A

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:30:13 pm »
is there any advantage to this style nock or pin nocks?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:28:24 pm »
I don't know about advantages for those specifically, never made that.  Pin nocks vs. traditional?
What I like about pin nocks - When stringing the bow I know if the bow is nocked for sure, it seems to pop in place.  Sometimes with overlay nocks one side doesn't sit right.

I'll put one thing into play - be curious to hear other people's opinions.  I'm thinking pin nocks the tips are a bit more trouble to get REALLY  narrow because you need to allow for the string to sit with enough room so it won't pop over the side.  Overlay tips a groove can be cut the spans the entire nock, that is the string is nocked in and around where pin nocks it's just around.  So, overlay may be better for narrow, performance tips.

Far as the tear drop nock - I think it's just aesthetic - what people like.  But like I said, I haven't made 'em...
1’—>1’

Offline Matt A

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:41:50 pm »
what about have you seen the nocks that they look like pin nocks from the top view but from the side there is a fairly tall overlay glued on. them look neat also but would the extra wood enduse hand shock you think

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:50:21 am »
Think so.  I'm thinking that's an effort to raise the string but I'd say better to just give the bow a little tip flipping.
1’—>1’

Offline Matt A

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:27 pm »
ok i'm currently working on a HHB sapling. I have it narrowed evenly now and if i wanna flip the tips a bit should i do it before i narrow my tips you think?