Author Topic: Lodgepole Pine  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Jude

• Julian Benoit, Black River, NY & Kandahar, Afghan.
Lodgepole Pine
« on: March 14, 2012, 02:33:05 am »
Has anyone out there worked with lodgepole pine for shafting?  I bought some last year because 3 Rivers didn't have any poplar in stock and I made some field tips from them, saving my poplar shafts for my broadheads.  They were working fine as practice arrows last fall, but my son told me they were snapping on him in the cold weather.  When I came back home on leave, he showed them to me and sure enough, they had snapped across the grain, right behind the point.  Anyone else have similar results?

Julian
"Not all those that wander are lost."--Tolkien
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer."--Benoit

Offline Traxx

Re: Lodgepole Pine
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:56 pm »
Especially,with Field tips,just about all the shafting material,will break like that,when a glancing blow is taken while shooting.Lodgepole pine,or Chundoo as its called in arrow shaft production,makes fine arrow shafts.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:45:41 am »
I doubt the cold was the culprit. If its sold as shafting you can bet its decent. Some shafting is better than others, but they all make good arrows. Some folks like to nit pick small details a touch too much in my opinion. I choose my shaft material by the finished weight Im looking to get more so than anything else. I have so many different parallel woods mixed together in my arrow tub's now I couldnt tell what is what anymore without weighing them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:58:17 am »
I bought a few dozen of these shafts ,a few times,years ago,and was very impressed with them. They were tough,(I don't recall ever breaking any as you mentioned) .They made excellent arrows,with a great weight to spine ratio. The only thing I did'nt care for were its inability to absorb stain.JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Jude

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:05 am »
Yeah, when I got them I was impressed at how straight grained they were, and how light they were for the spine.  I thought they should work really well.  I'll have to ask him again how they broke; maybe they glanced off the tree next to the target or something.  Thanks

Julian

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:57:44 am »
Maybe he was sooooo accurate that day he kept whacking arrows together in the bullseye? Thats what I would tell my dad anyway.....
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Jude

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:37:13 am »
That could very well be.... ::)