Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 15136 times)

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Smoking
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2012, 01:45:47 pm »
Was just at CostCo yesterday and saw wood pellet smokers complete with hoppers! Three different sizes for the smoker in you!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2012, 03:53:32 pm »
Was just at CostCo yesterday and saw wood pellet smokers complete with hoppers! Three different sizes for the smoker in you!
That is where I just bought my new smoker. Been smoking pretty much non-stop since then. Dang, that makes me a chain smoker doesn't it. Maybe that is why I have this nagging cough now.  ???
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:06 pm »
The thing that turned me off on the hopper type and the buiscuit type smokers is my lack of trust in the companies longevity....where do I go for hardwood pellets/biscuits that are not treated with chemicals if they go out of business?  For that matter, what if I am broke and can't afford factory made stuff like that?  Simpler is better in my world. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2012, 01:47:53 am »
The thing that turned me off on the hopper type and the buiscuit type smokers is my lack of trust in the companies longevity....where do I go for hardwood pellets/biscuits that are not treated with chemicals if they go out of business?  For that matter, what if I am broke and can't afford factory made stuff like that?  Simpler is better in my world.
I do like simple, that is why I went with the pellet smoker. Simple is being able to dump in a bag of pellets and smoke for 20 hours without having to check on it again. This company has been around for many years, and while I bought the smoker at Costco, my favorite local owned gun store sells the pellets so I can support the little guy.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Stoker

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »
I watched a show on discovery a while back and they were making pellets. They just used heat moisture and compression no chemicals. I'm a chip guy myself.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2012, 09:21:45 pm »

I do like simple, that is why I went with the pellet smoker. Simple is being able to dump in a bag of pellets and smoke for 20 hours without having to check on it again. This company has been around for many years, and while I bought the smoker at Costco, my favorite local owned gun store sells the pellets so I can support the little guy.
[/quote]

With my Green Egg, I can smoke for 24 hours straight (and I have) and get about a handful of ash and never have to add any.  Super simple!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline stickthrower

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 02:21:17 pm »
I have a cheap brinkman gas too I think.  Honestly, I have had it for awhile, and it gets used enough that the name is no longer on it.  In spring, summer and fall, I smoke pretty much everything.

I love the thing.  I typically use hickory or mesquite.  If I could get some wood here, some apple or something, I would use that.  I have used the hickory shavings from a bow.  :)  Figured that was a good way to use the whole thing!

Nathan
Sartell, Minnesota

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »
I just bought a 3 lb can of mixed nuts and several pounds of different cheeses.  Tonite when the temps drop I am going to pop them in the smoker for a light going over. 

Smoked almonds are good, so smoked mixed nuts should be even better!  Right?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2012, 03:24:22 am »
With all this talk about smoking I have been craving some brisket which is pretty much non-existent here in North Carolina unless you go to the comissary on base and get one.  So I was gonna buy a 55 gallon drum off of craigslist and make an upright smoker out of it but the wife promptly stated that she would not be eating anything that came out of it, so I went to lowes and bought a brinkman charcol upright.  This weekend I plan on firing it up and makin the neighbors jealous. >:D
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline cracker

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:08 am »
I made mine out of a propane tank and a piece of 20 inch pipe fo the fire box it works great. I can use direct for grilling or indirect for smoking one of the best things I've ever built for myself. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »
Any pics of your setup Ron?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2012, 11:23:56 pm »
With all this talk about smoking I have been craving some brisket which is pretty much non-existent here in North Carolina unless you go to the comissary on base and get one.  So I was gonna buy a 55 gallon drum off of craigslist and make an upright smoker out of it but the wife promptly stated that she would not be eating anything that came out of it, so I went to lowes and bought a brinkman charcol upright.  This weekend I plan on firing it up and makin the neighbors jealous. >:D

Ah, brisket!  Once upon a time it was cheaper than hamburger.  I saw some beef brisket in the store the other day for $6.99/lb.  Same with chicken wings, I used to buy 'em for $0.49/lb in 10 lb bags and now days chicken breasts are cheaper than the wings! 

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2012, 12:25:06 am »
Ok, this wasn't smoked, but I just had to post a picture of my first BBQ of the year.  Tenderloin and stuffed potatoes - I can't wait for summer  8)