Author Topic: looking for longer dry staves  (Read 2054 times)

Offline vabowyer

looking for longer dry staves
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »
Hello everyone,

Been making a lot of board bows for last couple of years and really miss working with a stave.  I am wondering if there is anyone out there with some dry wood (looking for something like osage, mulberry, or the like).  I tend to make my bows a little long, in the six foot range, so a stave that is long, but not necessarily to wide would be great. Not really looking for a character stave, but a few bits of naturalness like knots and dips and curves here and there would not hurt my feelings much.

I do have some leather I can give up in trade and I live near some great hard wood lumber stores that I can get just about anything you would like to try to work with.  If there is anyone who is interested, just reply here with what you might like in trade and I will let you know if it is something I can get my hands on here.

thanks.

Jamie

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: looking for longer dry staves
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:03:26 pm »
I have 6-8  huge non producing  storm damaged Mulberry trees that  I'll be taking down in the next few weeks.  Hopefully will get  some worthwhile staves out of them. Let me know if you might be interested.
Anyone in Nebraska vicinity that wants to help would be welcome to a fair share.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline vabowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:19:57 pm »
might be if we have something we can trade for.  Too bad Nebraska is not a little closer, or I would come help take them down....It is a long drive from Virginia.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 01:31:12 am »
What part of Nebraska? I am near Scottsbluff.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »
Bevan R.
The property is just west of Elba, 35 miles NW of Grand Island. That's a long haul from Scottsbluff.
The scenic route would be Hi. 2 from Alliance to either Dunning, Broken Bow or, Ansley, then east to Hi. 11.
Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 06:54:28 pm »
Bevan, should we add an extra day on the trip to Iowa and help this poor fellow out cutting mulberry?!?!?!    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:25:30 pm »
Sounds like a couple of gentlemen might be headed to Waterloo!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:28:06 pm »
Bevan, should we add an extra day on the trip to Iowa and help this poor fellow out cutting mulberry?!?!?!    >:D

Wish I could JW. But they are making me be back on time.

Fred, any idea on when you would be cutting? I could come down the weenend of the 24/25.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:31 am »

Wish I could JW. But they are making me be back on time.

Fred, any idea on when you would be cutting? I could come down the weenend of the 24/25.

You blokes are AWESOME!!! pbr
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)