Author Topic: Repairing bamboo arrow shafts  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Repairing bamboo arrow shafts
« on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »
Do any of you repair cracked bamboo shafts and if so what is your technique? I've had good results if anyone is interested.
Will post some pics after it warms up outdoors.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline scattershot

Re: Repairing bamboo arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »
i have used superglue in the crack, and wrapped the affected area with thread. Seems to work OK.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:13:20 pm »
I love my boo, but toss any and all defects. They are cheap enough. I have had a few go POW upon release and try my best to keep that from happening anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »
I like the fact that all my fingers on the hand holding the bow still work. I will not chance that on a questionable arrow. An arrow is cheep compaired to the pain & rehab & cost of a shaft exploding and impailing your hand/arm.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »
I trash any of mine that has a crack. Left hand is really not working right after one went kabooie a few years ago. Too easy to replace and cheaper ten 4 nights in the hospital after surgery.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:11:57 pm »
   I will only repair if the self nock breaks or if it snaps at the point. I always look for more damage and if I find the shaft to be split or cracked the shaft gets thrown in the burn pile. Just not worth the risk.

Steve
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 12:04:29 am »
Does someone have the link to those photos of the carbon arrows that have blown up and gone thru the shooter's hand?  There were posted here in the forum in the last few months but I can't seem to find them.  Send them to Fred as shock therapy. 

Fred, there is a point where being cheap is just dangerous.  Think about all the small arteries and veins, plus the delicate musculature that operates your hand, and then those skinny little tendons and ligaments!  Yeah, there are those doctors that can repair all that, but they like to go on vacations in exotic places, drive really fine sports cars, and live in jaw dropping mansions.  But worst of all they think people that shoot arrows thru their hands should pay for their nice things!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 02:16:57 am »
     ........Plus possible permanent nerve damage. ;) :P  Nothing like having a finger that doesn't work well, or not at all, and just gets in the way, or a hand that is the same way.  There will always be an element of risk in archery, be it primitive, glass, wheelies, or crossbows, there is always the chance of something minor turning into something major.  No point in increasing the odds. ;)
I hate to toss a nice arrow after all the work that goes into making one.  If it is just at the head , I will wrap the head, to reinforce it, depending on how bad a crack, and if it is further up, I will salvage the point, and the fletching if i can, but it becomes a combination pointer, and switch, after that. ;) :( Good for pointing things out, and enforcing an educational message.  Hey kid, see that?!  That is an Obsidian blade, first one I have gotten that long without breaking it.  I am quite proud of it, took me a lot of work, and it is very very sharp, and very fragile, don't touch it!  It can cause you to be hurt.  Swhissh, whapp!!  See, told you not to touch it!  Stings don't it!  :o ;) Now see that door...... ::) ;D   So even though it is no longer the noble piece of archery, it once was, it is not completely without use. ;)  Comes in handy at a family picnic also, yeah, give me that piece of chicken, no, that one, hey, Swish, whapp!  That's my beer!  Yours is over there! ;D ;D
A word of caution, don't let the wife or Girlfriend see the many uses for it!  Swish Whap!!, told you I had a headache! >:(  Stings don't it! ;)

Wayne
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:37:35 am by stickbender »

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:43:51 am »
Gentlemen, I appreciate your concern and caution.
Unlike wood and probably carbon, bamboo has no grain runout. I've never seen a bamboo shaft splinter (yet)! and  I've been working with bamboo shafts for approximately 10 years.
They will snap at the nodes and they will follow a crack from end to end (usually stopping at a node but I personally have yet to see one splinter. Here is a stumper repaired 2 seasons ago. I've replaced the 80 gr brass casing (also has 80 gr steel insert) and refletched. 
My intentions were not to cause a conflict or create a problem but only to find out who else may have
tried to repair bamboo arrows.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:49:19 am by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:17 am »
No conflict here Fred! We all have our own opinions. I just choose to pitch them at any sign of weakness. Keep repairing them if it works for you and you can let that string go with no worries.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:39:00 pm »
I've repaired several split bamboo arrows over the years (only ones that I really like ).  A little super glue and thread or artificial sinew and they're good to go.  IF the split is major however, I throw them out.

Never had a problem with bamboo arrows 'shattering'.  I've only had one break and that was when it hit something.