Author Topic: Hickory coming to BC?  (Read 1884 times)

Offline RobWiden

Hickory coming to BC?
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:20 am »
    I was moaning on TG about some bad hickory I got for backing, and another bowyer from BC said we should take a trip back east to get some good wood. Another guy from Ontario said he could find us a good source. The upshot is that we will probably be getting some hickory picked out by a bowyer. Depending how much we get, we may have some for swap or whatever. Any BC bowyers interested?    Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline Baldmoose

Re: Hickory coming to BC?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:35:13 am »
interested is who you were talking to from ontario.... have a hard time finding hickory round here myself.....
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18:03 pm »
Baldmoose, on TG he calls himself Woodcarver 2, and he said he lives in southern Ontario. That's all the info I have at the moment.   Rob
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline Lil Bow Pete

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »
You are right, hickory is hard to find around here. My local Windsor plywood store has a selection of hardwood lumber and I did find a board that was suitable for hickory backing but most of what they sell is not very straight grained. I have also found some nice ash there and lots of nice rizer wood.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 06:03:35 pm »
Hickory grows prolifically in Ontario in certain areas. Despite seeming to faor the very southern part of the province it grows all along the St. Lawrence and up the Ottawa valley in vast quantities.
 I grew up near the Kingston-Ottawa area and  hickory seemed to be a dominant tree in the area.
 Shagbark and Bitternut in particular.
 In the north of Toronto area I have found areas without a trace and then suddenly a pocket of almost pure Hickory. I have only seen Bitternut here but Shagbark seems to take over towards the West.
 It's certainly out there but finding a source that you are able to cut may be a problem. I see a lot on conservation areas or land that I am just passing through.

Offline mike fisher

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:43:35 pm »
Hi, can I ask what conservation area? Thanks Mike

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:57:58 am »
LBP - We had a Windsor Plywood in Smithers but they closed last year. I thought the world had come to an end. Fortunately I get to travel a bit and got some wood from WP in Burnaby last time I was down there. They have the best selection I've seen in BC.    Rob

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:41 am »

Would be great to have some good quality Hickory around here allright.
I live on the Island....some Windsor stores have a good selection others not so good.

LBP - We had a Windsor Plywood in Smithers but they closed last year. I thought the world had come to an end. Fortunately I get to travel a bit and got some wood from WP in Burnaby last time I was down there. They have the best selection I've seen in BC.    Rob
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell