Author Topic: Busy weekend in the shop...part 1  (Read 1732 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Busy weekend in the shop...part 1
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:27:43 pm »
Me and my buddy Dave were busy dudes this weekend. More to come!  >:D We finished up his very first osage bow and second seflbow. He somehow conned me out of a set of carp skins and conned me into laying em down. I split the skins down the lateral line as you can see. Then I used 10# artificial sinew to blend the seam lines. I added a thin black silk thread to the rawhide/carp skin meeting. The bow had ultra thin rings so he did his best and he conned me out of a set of rawhides to, I put them down as well? Something is starting to add up now  ???. The bow stands dead straight after unbracing and holds 3/4" reflex nafter a few hours. Its a straight bow with no flips. 60# @ 27", 64" ttt. It has one dip of Zip Gaurd with one more to follow. Then add a black grip. I dont think he has fully grasped unto just how nice of a bow this is. It has taken on less intial set than any other bow I have built.....I mean helped build ;) Enjoy my 1/2 mp pics! I promise one day a new camera will happen.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

Re: Busy weekend in the shop...part 1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:32:03 pm »
looking good....show me more asap ;)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:32:33 pm »
That is a nice bow! Nice work on those skins. Just say NO Pearly ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:50:17 pm »
Its hard for me to say "no" to begin with Cip, let alone telling my best buddy of 20 some years! He knows this bow was his one "free pass". The next hundred are on him and his hands!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 12:52:39 pm »
Man those fish skins are cool looking.  Watch out creek carp! Looks like I'll be trying to skin a few before I leave them for the coons this Summer.  great job Buddy, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:56:41 pm »
The more carp i see the more I like them! Good for you sharing material and knowledge with someone. I wish I had someone on my first bow. It is good to help and teach the basic but like you said "The next hundred are on him and his hands" (as we all laugh)

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:23:12 pm »
great work Pearl.i'll start saving my skins this spring.no more throwing them away.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 03:00:30 pm »
The best tip I can give on carp skins is to thin them down CAREFULLY with a sanding block and 80 grit. I also scrubbed mine with Dawn after sanding them to get all the oils off. They stuck like glue to the rawhide and look great on the edges. 

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 04:19:21 pm »
Like them skins..congrats to your buddy...
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.