Author Topic: Yew and Maple..?  (Read 2500 times)

Offline bow101

Yew and Maple..?
« on: February 29, 2012, 11:51:49 pm »
If i use yew wood for a bow should i back it with maple or the other way around..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Yew and Maple..?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 11:53:31 pm »
I'd make a yew bow, then a maple bow.    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:24:24 am »
I have thought about making a Vine Maple backed Yew bow as I have allot of vine maple and lots of usable yew heart wood, I would bet it would perform well.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:36:10 am »
what's the state of your yew? is it a stave with intact sapwood? If so I dont think it needs a wood backing, the sapwood is pretty good in tension. if you just have some heartwood like josh was saying then you'll probably want to back it with something. I have seen people use bamboo with yew heartwood before. I don't have any backing experience so I couldn't tell you if maple would be good or not. I'm sure it would work but don't know if it's ideal.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 12:47:27 am »
Lots of folks have made all heartwood unbacked yew bows.  There's neolithic bows like that, see TBB volume 1 I think.

I bet maple would make a decent backing for yew.  It definitely won't overpower it.  Gordon made a really nice bamboo backed yew boo a while back.  You could do a search for that.

I guess it kinda depends why you want to back it.  If its because you just want to to make a laminate, well then go for it.  But if its just for safety, you'd probably be fine with no backing, or just using silk or rawhide, or linen.

gr
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 01:38:17 am »
I have thought about making a Vine Maple backed Yew bow as I have allot of vine maple and lots of usable yew heart wood, I would bet it would perform well.

Josh

How much is "alot" of Yew Heart wood?  Seperate with any of it?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 01:48:34 am »
Well I have a bunch of logs that sat out in the weather for a long time and all the sap wood is rotten but the heart wood is very sound so it still needs milled down and its far from being pretty wood but I could probably part with some what were you looking for? hit me up with a pm. I still have those rounds sitting here for the bow fishing spools I need to get shipped to ya. send me a pm

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 02:31:53 am »
WHO'S MAKING SPOOLS IN HERE!?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 01:27:12 pm »

What he said....

I may not be able to find the wood or time to get a spool made this year before the fish start spawning so I'd really be interested in a trade of some sort.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 03:56:49 pm »

What he said....

I may not be able to find the wood or time to get a spool made this year before the fish start spawning so I'd really be interested in a trade of some sort.

same
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 04:05:16 pm »
Bryce I remember one year when trojan flooded right during spawning season and the carp were swimming down the bike paths. We speared probably 30 carp between 3 guys and sold them to the orientals that were fishing there it was a blast! You probably know some good sloughs on the columbia that hold lots of fish?

Josh

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 05:06:44 pm »
DUDE! 2008 right? or 09 sometime around there. or are you talking about 96?   Carver slough next to the road that goes to prescott beach is awesome bowfishing. schools of carp swim right up to you. stick one wait 5 mins they come back lol good fun. the slough behind diblee point and theres a pond full of carp but its usually to dirty to see anything. but the best is dyno nobel has a hot water run off that goes to the columbia. making a nice warm spot year round.  from the beach you can snag them with a hook and line. but grabbing a canoe and a bow is way funner.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 06:49:32 pm »
I've used whitewoods to back yew heartwood, and the results are terrific.