Author Topic: Making Arrows  (Read 3058 times)

Offline oldhippy

Re: Making Arrows
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 09:08:32 pm »
   Dictionary, I throw togeather a dozen or two cedar arrows each year to shoot targets. At the end of bow season, here in NC, the second week of Dec, I have a bunch of short and long arrows and only about 10 left at all. I also have 10 cane arrows that I use for target practice and I have had them for 4 years and they have been fletched 3 times and are still straight as the day I made them. There are quickie arrows and there are quality arrows.

Bowsandroses, you are certainly right. Seeing one of your creations come to life is priceless. I'm not big into shoot shafts I have only done maybe three dozen in My arrow building. Decided that I really didn't like dogwood, but I do like sourwood and mock orange. Seems that the wood is harder, tougher and heavier and stays straight longer.

Stringman, I have found a brother arrowsmith. Like you say, they have no concept. I gave a few arrow building demos at a couple of the local shoots and most people will leave before you can get the shaft straightened. A few that were as dumb as me actually saw me make a real Cherokee cane arrow, those people took one home with them. Over the years that I have been messing around with arrows I have literally made hundreds. Many are given as gifts and I sell a few then some are reworked because I might need a shaft for a new point. Most fly good from the beginning but some will fly like a drunken parrot, most of the time it will be an easy fix shorten the shaft usually, ( I like long arrows, mostly 32" )  or change the fletching. Usually something pretty simple. I know that you all think I bitch and whine but I'm not doing either. Arrowsmithing is a craft that can be an art. You don't have to have fancy footed arrows, pretty but not practical for most of us, but you can have handmade works of art that you created from something that you collected and crafted with your own hands. At this very moment, well a few minutes ago, I am prepping 4 dozen more hill cane shafts to take to Tenn. in May. I have 3 and a half doz all ready but still need to go thru about 2 more doz before I straighten them
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)