Author Topic: Creek Bow Help?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Creek Bow Help?
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:54:14 pm »
For the last few weeks I've been chasing rings on a red elm stave.  Because of the way it was cut when I purchased it and the way the grain runs I think I'm only going to have a little over five feet to work with so I probably need to make a bow with a working grip or working handle.  The stave has an awesome natural reflex deflex to it.  That being said I think that the design that might work well is the Creek bow design on page 53 of The Traditional Bowyer's Bible Volume Two.  If anyone has any knowledge or advice on Creek bows and/or Creek archery, I would greatly appreciate it.  Were their bows ever backed with anything and should this bow be backed if it's around five feet?  Did they ever paint their bows?  If so, what patterns did they use? Also what wood did they use for their arrows? What quivers did they use? Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern for a Creek quiver? Any help from anyone is appreciated, but I am also the kind of enthusiastic dork that thinks that help from a real Creek person would add some extra pride to my work.  I will also point out that I have made five successful board bows, but this will be my first bow from a stave.  I plan on using it for both target shooting (paper targets and 3D) and hunting.  Thanks in advance and happy shooting.

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Creek Bow Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:15:52 pm »
I have made a replica of that bow out of hickory.  My experience was that it was a fairly straight forward design.  My cross section was flat.  The tips were a bit thinner than the rest of the bow to get it to bend right in tillering. 

I have never worked elm so I cannot say much about that, however, backing was not terribly common in the eastern US, especially in the southern US. I have made hickory bows of 50" and some that were even shorter.  This shortened my draw length from 28" to 26" or 24"  They worked just fine with no backing.  The shorter white wood bows, in my experience) take a set but they perform well. 

As for decoration.  So few bows remain for some tribes in the east.  Some are elaborate some are not.  I have found the Native Americans were a lot like us.  Some folks had fancy tools other had very plain utilitarian tools.  Their bows and arrows were no different.  So if I find few clear examples of bow decoration, and I am not interested in making an exact replica, then  I study their other crafts and life skills for inspiration.  Bead work, or clothing can often provide images that inspire decoration. 

Arrows:  I am aware of documented Creek use of shoot shafts.  They had access to river cane (Arundinaria) and  I cannot imagine they did not use that.  Shoot choice could include but would not be limited to Arrowwood (viburnum) and Dogwood.  Eastern quivers are not common in historic collections but woven quivers (oak splits or cane) and tanned animal hides are all within the realm of possibilities.  Some folks with more specific knowledge may chime in an help you out.

Good luck with your project and be sure to post some pix as you go. 

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Re: Creek Bow Help?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:54:59 am »
The creek bows were basically the exact same as the cherokee bow. There is a Creek bow in the Grayson collection and pretty much its the same as a cherokee bow. here is a nice link. Page 167 image 162 is a creek bow in color.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY