Author Topic: Apricot Bow  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Apricot Bow
« on: February 27, 2012, 03:39:45 am »
I have a couple pieces of Apricot that are just about done drying. I know fruit bearing trees make suitable bows. I've made plenty of cherry bows. But I can't find anywhere of someone making a bow from apricot. Is there a reason? Does it fret easy? Take far too much set? What's the dealio?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sleek

Re: Apricot Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 03:49:24 am »
You dont see many because of the amount of checing it does makes osage look like a walk in the park. It can actually turn itself into mulch from what I have seen.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:54:44 am »
dpes the same go for apple?
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:23:47 am »
I do not know. Cut a small limb to find out and let us know?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 05:03:30 am »
Do a standard bend test on a small sample.
Apple makes great bows. I've just got a huge section of apple from a tree surgeon - like 18 inches across...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:15:59 am »
I cut a 2" diameter peach pole a few weeks ago, cut out the belly side of both limbs and bound it to a form. I'll let you know next year how it wodks!  ;) 
  Peach and apricot are very similar and both are related to plums and quite a few plum bows have been shown here on PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 03:36:32 am »
I cut a 2" diameter peach pole a few weeks ago, cut out the belly side of both limbs and bound it to a form. I'll let you know next year how it wodks!  ;) 
  Peach and apricot are very similar and both are related to plums and quite a few plum bows have been shown here on PA.

Next year?! I can't wait that long. Lol yeah I've seen A lot of plum bows. Makes me wanna make one. Sadly I have too many projects on the list....one of these days.
Clatskanie, Oregon