Author Topic: A couple of bows  (Read 3291 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
A couple of bows
« on: February 20, 2012, 12:46:00 am »
OK, I know how much I look forward to seeing bow postings of all types....from the expert bowyer to the novice (I fall into the novice category). I thought I would upload some pics of some of my recent and ongoing projects. Here is a hickory mollegabet I recently made. It didn't take as many pics as I should have, but thought you might want to see some. It started out 66" ttt and 64 ntn. The working limbs are 2" wide and the levers were 12 or so inches to start with. At this stage it was about 35# at 27", but as you can see the bottom limb needed some work. By the time I got everything even, it was down to about 30#. I piked it by taking 3" off each lever making it 60" ttt and 58" ntn. It picked up about 10#. It has coca bola tips (which had to be re-applied after piking. This is the only full draw pic I have.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:49:49 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: A couple of bows
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:48:24 am »
Here is a picture of the tip.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:49:15 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:54:17 am »
I was making this for a teenager and wanted it to look a little different that most bows he had seen, so I stained it with a mahogany water based stain and painted the front black with krylon. After sealing the entire bow with Krylon clear, I painted some designed on the front of the bow with acrylic craft or hobby paints, then resealed the bow with a couple more coats of clear, added a dacron string with rabbit fur silencers, and here is the finished bow. I took this pic with my phone since the batteries were dead in my camera. It looks a lot blurrier now. Anyway, he liked the bow alot. I also made him a quiver and some arrows, but did not take any pics. Here is the bow.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:48:31 am by lesken2011 »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:43 am »
Here is a red oak pyramid bow I am working on. It has a poplar and mahogany riser and I am trying to decide what tip overlays to use. Here is a pic on the tiller tree. It is currently 22# at 12". Not sure how heavy that will be. It is currently 72" ttt and 70"ntn. The grain is really straight, but I am thinking about backing it with brown paper and TBIII.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:47:47 am by lesken2011 »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:04:53 am »
Here is a picture of the belly...

The back...

and a close up of the riser...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:47:20 am by lesken2011 »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 01:12:43 am »
One more...

This is a 2" wide hickory board I just ripped from a larger piece on my table saw. Unfortunately when I found the center and did my string test, I noticed the board is not completely strait. I will only be able to get a bow about 1 7/8 wide. I intended to do a holmgaard style. It is 66" ttt and I would like to be able to get about 45 to 50# at 27#. Do you think that is possible? Here is a pic of the end grain...

Notice I have my layout on the top and look at the grain.  I know I'm not chasing a ring, but do you think I should flip it over and use the other side as the back? The board is straight front to back, the bend is in the side.

Here is a view of the side grain.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:46:30 am by lesken2011 »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 03:41:49 am »
   Kenny,
             You shouldn't have any trouble reaching 45#-50# outa that board you should be able to surpass that weight if needed. Looks like you've been busy with all the bows. Keep us posted on future pics of that hickory board bow. Hickory is my favorite and takes some real abuse.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:45:24 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline MoNative

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:56:08 pm »
Sweet man, looking good. 8)
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:49 pm »
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Burchett.Donald...

What do you think about flipping the slat over? Do you think it matters?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:28:42 pm by lesken2011 »

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 06:44:49 pm »
     Kenny,
                 Looking at the end grain on the one end I would flip it. Is the other end similar? By doing so it looks like the grain run out would be towards the belly.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:02:13 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 10:47:42 pm »
     Kenny,
                 Looking at the end grain on the one end I would flip it. Is the other end similar? By doing so it looks like the grain run out would be towards the belly.

I think I probably will. Thanks for the advise.

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:54:33 pm »
Nice looking projects!Really like that riser combo.I have a hickory board bow thats taken a couple of deer,thousands of shots and still going strong,good stuff that hickory.You could always put rawhide on the back to be safe-Hammertime

Offline The Fly

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 10:15:37 am »
I agree with burchett.donald.All though hickory is super strong in tension, board should be flipped to give it its best chance for lasting a long time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:20:06 am by The Fly »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:40:12 am »
Thanks guys. I agree. I don't know why I didn't really notice the end grain when I laid it out. The next piece in the board is even better. It looks like a decrowned stave from the end. I am thinking about using it for my trade bow since I don't really have any staves. I did notice that there are some available on ebay. Any of you guys have any luck from places like that? I did get permission from a nearby landowner to look around for some small trees for potential bow wood. He also has a section with alot of bamboo. He said I can have all I want.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 10:30:43 am »
  Kenny,
            Great opportunity from the land owner. The state of Miss. should have plenty to offer in bow wood and spring is around the corner there and that should help greatly in identification. There's no telling what kind of gold mine... I mean hickory mine you may stumble into.