Author Topic: Fixing lifted splinter on sinew backed bow?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Fixing lifted splinter on sinew backed bow?
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:42 pm »
I have been working on a knotty Osage bow that decided to get a little splinter today. It's has 2 layers of sinew on the back and is 60" NTN with a 7" handle and 26 1/2" limbs. It measured about 45 lbs at 27" and chronied 155 at about 26" draw, is this very good? I had done some finish sanding and burnished the sides and belly and was going to test the draw weight and tiller again and it popped a small splinter between the 2 knots on corner of the back of the top limb. What would be the best way to fix it? I'm thinking fill it with super glue then wrap it in sinew. Once I get it fixed I'll put up braced and full draw pics. I plan to put on a snakeskin and finish it with tru oil. I would put up pics but they are too large of size and I can't figure out how to get them under the 200KB limit. If anyone has any advice I would apreciate it. Thanks in advance

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Fixing lifted splinter on sinew backed bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »
I'm guessing without pictures. But if it is on the edge I'd try to rasp/file it as much as I could. Make sure you have all the sharp edges smooth and then run another layer of sinew making sure it runs along the edges/ overlap to the edge of the belly on both limbs. Or you could just wrap it. Myself, I'd rather let it hold up beans than wrapping it.

It is important dealing with knotty wood to have smooth edges. I like the sides of my bows slightly rounded.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:11:18 am »
After you mentioned filing it off I looked closer at it and realized how small and shallow it is. It looks like I can take medium sandpaper and take care of it with no problems. It looks less than 1/16" deep and is 3/8" long and is a little under 1/8" wide. So I think I can sand it off and while I'm at it round all the corners a little more. Hopefully it doesn't drop the weight too much. If it does I'll just add 1 more layer of sinew and see if it'll bring it back up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 08:01:45 pm »
That little bit of edge clean up shouldn't drop the weight where you would notice it. And, It's gonna gain some weight the more the sinew cures.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:38:19 am »
I fixed the splinter and it didn't affect it at all. Then I decided to take a pic of the bow on the tillering stick and realized my tiller is a bit off. Most of the bending is going on in the first third of the limbs. Hopefully it doesn't drop the weight too much getting the rest of the limbs getting to bend more. It's at 45 lbs at 27" now, and the sinew has been curing for a little under a month now so hopefully it can still pull up the weight a little bit by curing more after I fix the limbs.