Author Topic: Belly Split Question  (Read 2431 times)

Offline JonW

Belly Split Question
« on: February 17, 2012, 11:44:55 pm »
What's the secret for consistant belly splits? Sometimes they work out as planned and sometimes it will jump several rings on me and come out quite undesirable. I'm splitting Osage most of the time and using wedges to do it. I hate not being able to use some of the belly wood on a nice thick stave :'(

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Belly Split Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:45:33 am »
Yep, that's how it happens.  Not much you can do about it however,  I noticed lately that my seasoned staves do better at inside splits than my green staves at following a consistent ring or two.  So, if you have time with green wood, leave them big, forget about the inside splits until they season a couple of years.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:47:17 am »
You can bandsaw the belly stave off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:14:08 am »
Good advice in both cases.  I like to use a hatchet head as my wedge when I'm splitting out sisters.   Slow and easy on the split seems to go better for me than power and speed.  If the stave were under a year old I'd definitely saw the sister off instead of splitting.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:17:20 am »
George, I use a small ax also to get the split started then use a fro to writhe it out the rest of the way.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 02:20:12 am »
I want a fro pretty bad.  I have never seen one at the flea markets I've been too.  Someday...

George
St Paul, TX

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 02:29:25 am »
ok...fro???  and while were at it...belly stave??  Are we talking about the inner part of a pie wedge,I can see my vocabulary needs updating,Ron

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 03:02:15 am »
how wide and thick are your wedges? sometimes you need ones thin....thats why some folks use the fro. if its too wide then itll cause it to jump.but then again sometimes .... happens.

dron do a search for a fro...and yes the inner part of a pie wedge.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 03:59:15 am »
It would ne nice having a froe to go with this too I have >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:12:51 am »
Ron, a belly split is the inside of the wedge and a fro is a big blade with a handle at 90deg on i=one end. It is used tom split out wood like a lever. I get the split started with the ax and slip the fro into the split and lever it open working down the split.
  George, my fro was made with a half of a leaf spring with the handle going in the mounting eye of the spring.
  I'll get some pics of my fro later.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:14:59 am »
I have used a mattock to split off belly staves. Get the split started, insert the mattock blade crossways and pry up with the handle. Works pretty well on most but not all osage. The splintery stuff with a lot of stringers doesn't split well this way.

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 11:29:40 am »
It just so happens that I have a band saw so I guess I will try that for a while and see how I make that work. I have been intending to make a fro but just haven't got off my hind end and done it. So many projects.........

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 12:02:39 pm »
Here are a few pics of the fro I have...

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 12:12:31 pm »
Got myself this from Lee Valley. It was cheeper to by a new one than get a used one off the auction site.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 01:54:28 am »
Its clear to me know...you see stuff over the years and one day you know its purpose and better still...how to use it!! Tanx pat and Bevan