Author Topic: Kids bows  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Qwill

Kids bows
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:59:14 pm »
Here are some kids bows I just finished for a guy who wanted to swap for a pistol he had. I don't normally post pics, and I'm not sure they'll come through right.
'

Offline Qwill

Re: Kids bows
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:02:41 pm »
Yeah, those photos are terrible, and don't get good light inside... Anyway, they are all just under 60 inches long varying from 30# to 40# at 28 inches draw.
The first is black locust, the second is Hawthorn with a kink in the bottom limb, the third is Hazelnut and the last one is Siberian elm. (not a great full draw picture, but I had to include the boy's first lesson. He's 2 and a half.)

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:13:45 pm »
nice job, i saw that second pic and man that's quite the whop-de-do in the bottom limb, i love building bows for kid's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 07:19:22 pm »
Nice looking bows! I have a 2 1/2 year old who I'm going to make a bow for when he's 3. How many pounds can a kid that age pull, do you think? Any other tips on making such a small bow? I have a little yew branch that I was thinking of using. what were your dimensions?

Offline Qwill

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »
Oh, my little guy doesn't have his own yet. I don't think he'd be able to pull more that 10-12 pounds. He just thinks he should be doing whatever I'm doing, so... Anyway, as far as bows for kids this age, just wing it. If it doesn't work the first time, you'll learn why. I know you can go pretty narrow to keep the weight down without going wafer thin.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:27:46 pm »
yeah!  kids need to get right in there with us...and supervised! I wasn't supervised.
I was kinda dangerous with a bow when was little...amazing what I did that didn't somehow get me or someone else killed.
hows that hawthorne work for a heavier bow say a 55#?
been eyeing a few hawthorne every early morning as I'm out trimming youngins to grow up to be good straight trees.

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Qwill

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 09:48:54 pm »
Actually, that hawthorne was a 50# bow I cut down to 35#. It's great stuff. I've made two, the first 60# at 30 inches, and the bow pictured. Tough, nearly unbreakable, with good "snap" when you dry it completely.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:31:24 pm »
Those look really good. Looks like we added more to the ranks of traditional shooters. Good job!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA