Author Topic: Letting it settle  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Letting it settle
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:14 pm »
I find that when I am trying to do something I benefit from taking a break from it for awhile and then coming back to it.  Seems to give my mind time to process what I have learned.  I don't do a lot of knapping but the process of stopping and letting what I have learned sink in has helped me, especially in not getting too frustrated. 

I started to do some knapping again a few weeks ago after a break of several months.  My points were not too bad before but I have improved my technique a bit and my points are quite a bit better.  One of the things I learned over the last week or so is making my points extremely sharp.  The pressure flaking method I am using for this is to flick the tip of my flaker upwards gently at the point I am going to take a flake off before I remove a flake.  This seems to remove any loose little bits that can give me problems.  I don't know if anyone else does this but it works quite well for me.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Letting it settle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:01:50 pm »
I find that when I am trying to do something I benefit from taking a break from it for awhile and then coming back to it.

That's my excuse too. >:D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:13:37 pm »
Marc, I often do the same thing in lieu of abrading.  I'm self taught for the most part and didn't know there was such a thing as abrading or what the benefit of abrading was.  Now I "backscratch" out of habit more than any other reason.  Josh

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:12 pm »
Good deal Marc.  Seems like the only time I take a break from knapping is to work on a bow.  Even so, things seem to work better when I get back to it.  I definitely need to improve my sharpening.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:34:51 pm »
And you are sticking to it Patrick?  :)

Josh, I had done this "backscratching" before but this time I was much more careful when I did it with much better end results.  I still abraid as well
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »
yes on both counts!
Whatever i am working at too obsessively, it helps to put it down  or take some time to think.
And also "backscratching" . I do it (without abrading) when making the final passes on a point i want really sharp.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:55:07 pm »
Marc that's a great plan.. When I write I always benifit from taking a break and then going back to it. But with other "projects" not so much ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:38 pm »
 ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr