Author Topic: Cattail quiver  (Read 4660 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Cattail quiver
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:36:31 pm »
Howdy, Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on woven quivers. Let me elaborate in TBB 1 in the section on "Western Indian Bows" there is a picture of a few western style quivers one of which is made of tule. but living in the NE Woodlands tule is not available so do you think it would be possible to use cattail shafts?  http://books.google.com/books?id=Du7S2qjEoRgC&pg=PA190&lpg=PA190&dq=traditional+bowyer's+bible+tule+quiver&source=bl&ots=JeQfR3NNc8&sig=5hDtc5aSMOm6QmXWujn3LU6MA9g&hl=en&ei=A2moTtTnOaq80AGb9cyFDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The other reason I like this design is instead of having the whole thing basket woven, it only has a few  (12 or so) cross weaves to go through the ribbing, substansialy cutting down on the amount of work.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline sadiejane

Re: Cattail quiver
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:54 pm »
cattail reeds might work really well. i've been meaning to gather some for this very application.
heres a vid series on youtube that shows the basics of weaving a quivers
in this particular series he uses cane but i think you could take the same instructions and apply to many materials.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f79zZiCO0zU
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:35:35 pm »
I cut some blackberry canes but never got around to using them. I believe the Cherokee made baskets using blablberry canes among other things. I cut two 2 summers ago that were almost 1' in diameter and ablou 7' or 8' long. Wear good leather gloves if you decide to try some. The thorns scrape right off.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:41:58 pm »
i think it would work, and welcome to PA ;)
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »
I have not made a quiver of cattails but have made some mats that I tote around doing programs for schools. I used leaves and stalks alike.  It is not super durable, but it has made it five years of not so gentle use.  l but I would expect it to work in a pinch.  I just wouldn't hope for it to last extra long. 

JMO

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:22:06 am »
I am actually in the process of using cattail for a quiver.  Cattail does seem to be doing the trick but i would deffinately have to suggest something  alittle stronger for actual use in the field. River cane would be good.  im sure you could pull it off but the cattails become too brittle after drying.  Kind of a one hit and its broken type of thing.  But if its just a wall a hanging or you just wanna learn to weave give her a go. 
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 07:02:32 am »
That looks pretty good Baldmoose!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 01:52:12 pm »
You are doing a very nice job on your quiver. It is difficult to keep the tension right so you can control the shape. I like your hourglass shape, intentional or not!  ;)
  Honeysuckle vine works well but I think you have to strip the bark and boil the vines. Grape vines work but can be a little bulky. If you live in the land of palms and palmettos there is lots of good weavers there. Jute cordage, like you have in the bottom will work well all the way up or as accent strips that will give the quiver more durability.
  A bit later in the spring the inner bark from some trees is quite strong and would work well too. This outter bark from some tree saplings might work as well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC