Author Topic: figuring out proper arrow length  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Hawkeye1974

figuring out proper arrow length
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:39:21 am »
As above how do you figure out arrow length?  I am 6'6" so what would the practical length of arrows for me?
If a guy can fire 3 arrows 125 meters he not only deserves his own movie.  He deserves his own reality show!!! 

-Anonymous

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: figuring out proper arrow length
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:00:45 am »
Depend on lots of things,shooting style/arrow material/arrow spine/bow weight
all come into play.For a rough idea,stand straight and clasp hands in front of you.
With arms stretched out straight.Measure from tips of fingers to the center of you chest. That will give a close idea.Then you will need to know bow weight at that draw length. Figure that stuff out and we can go from there depending on arrow type/material you are going to use.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:41:07 am »
What Pappy said X2. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:35:56 am »
The only real way to get an exact size is to use a longer than necessary arrow in the bow you intend to use, draw the arrow to your anchor point, then get someone to mark the arrow at the point where it intersects with the bow's back. This would give you the minimum length shaft from the nock to the shoulder of the point.

You only need to be this accurate if you are going to be target shooting and are looking for the perfect arrow for this otherwise do as pappy says only instead of measuring the length directly I have found it easyier to use a long shaft/stick and place one end in the middle of your chest and hold the other by your fingertips with your two arms streatched out in front of you. The get someone to mark the shaft at the end of your fingers.

I must add that unless you are after the best target arrows you can make then there is no "proper arrow length", there are plenty of people who deliberately shoot longer arrows than are rfequired by their draw, they do this because they prefer the way the arrows fly or they need longer length to get proper dynamic spine etc, etc.

Craig
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:45:04 am by CraigMBeckett »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:52:50 am »
What Craig said,I usually only have same length arrows if I am using bought shafts,if I am using Cain or other natural arrow material[shoots] They usually  are different lengths for the reasons Craig gave and I also make them one at a time. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:49:58 pm »
Some are more worried about arrow weight rather than length.  Depending on shaft material and head size/material.  You can use a yard stick to measure the way Pappy says to. I started cutting mine a little longer cuz when I break on @ the tip I can still use the same arrow sometimes by just putting another tip on it or turning it into a blunt for stumping.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 05:18:36 pm »
Put a cloths pin in the middle of a shaft.  Put it on the bow and draw to your anchor point - as the arrow slides over the shelf (or your knuckle) the cloths pin will slide on the shaft when it comes in contact with the back of the bow and will finally come to rest at the minimum arrow length you can use for that draw length.  With this method, you do not need a second person to help mark the shaft at full draw.    If you wish to tweak arrow length to spine tune after this starting point, good luck - I usually tweak spine in different areas, but many guys do it with length.   

Russ.