Author Topic: paper thin Osage rings  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: paper thin Osage rings
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 01:16:23 am »
Here it is Josh...
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,10381.msg147989.html#msg147989

That was in 2008. Holy Cr*p where are these years going!  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 01:42:23 am »
Thanks pat Ill do a search for it, I probably saw it I was just probably slightly impaired when I saw it ::)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 03:11:38 am »
I have been chasing a ring on one for two days with a scraper. I'm going after one that is about 1/16 but four or five rings above that one that I was after got real thin a few spots and I went through it with a scraper. finally slowed way down and taking many breaks. Easy for that thin ringed stuff to get away from you LOL
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 08:05:30 am »
What Matt said,I like it thin as long as I can chase it and the ratio is good. For what you are talking about doing it should be fine for sure.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hook

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:59 am »
Thanks guys, I'm going to try chasing a ring one more time because I dont want to back it if I don't have to. I like the wood. Although the rings are thin the relationship between the early and late growth are about the same.
I'll keep you posted.

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 11:14:17 am »
If that's the case and your going to leave it unbacked then just go a little wider than normal for osage...like an inch n a half+, and no less for a normal length,draw american flatbow.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 01:56:20 pm »
I have a few staves that are clean and knot free that have super thin rings. I mean soooper thin probabaly around 1/32. I chased a ring on one of them believe it or not. When I got done I inspected the back and noticed that in a couple of the dips on the back I had violated  in a couple of small spots. So now I am thinking it might be better if I just back it with something. What is a good, common source for rawhide?   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God