Author Topic: Finished Oak Bow... pics  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Finished Oak Bow... pics
« on: January 28, 2012, 01:20:11 am »
I just finished up my 3rd successful bow. Its made from two spliced oak billets, and has a black walnut and maple riser. It's nothing compared to some of the exquisite work on here, but I'm proud of it. The tiller isn't spot on, but it felt good to draw, and I didn't feel like going any further with it. It took a little set, but nothing I'm worried about. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can take it out and shoot it without losing all my arrows. Sorry for the poor picture quality in some of them, the lighting is terrible in my apartment. My scale only goes up to 50lbs, so I can't give an exact draw weight, but its pulling over 50@26. Anything over 45lbs I consider a success since that is legal hunting weight here.

I'm straining a bit in this one, my girlfriend was taking her time with the camera.

Offline Dictionary

Re: Finished Oak Bow... pics
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 12:27:00 pm »
nice work

what is the overall length?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:36:53 pm »
56" nock to nock

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 12:37:46 pm »
Nice bow! Looks darn good to me, with it being your 3rd bow. White oak, or red?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:39:27 pm »
I believe white oak. But I'm not %100 sure. I havn't yet developed a keen eye for identification, and this started as a dirty old scrap board I found in the back of my father-in-law's shop.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:56:06 pm »
This looks good for your 3rd bow. On your next one try to get more bend in the inner 1/3 of each limb. You are missing out on a lot of bending wood the way this one is set up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 01:08:47 pm »
Nice job i look forward to seeing your 4th.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »
This looks good for your 3rd bow. On your next one try to get more bend in the inner 1/3 of each limb. You are missing out on a lot of bending wood the way this one is set up.

I'll keep that in mind.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »
Nice bow. I'm a little surprised an oak board is taking that level of bend. I didn't see an unbraced picture, how much is a little set? No matter, good job on a nice shorty.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 11:32:39 am »
That piece of wood is way to short for your draw length. Your next board bow should be your draw length doubled + 12" to be on the safe side.

You need to make a tillering gizmo so you won't hinge the next one in mid limb like you did this one.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 07:46:34 pm »
That piece of wood is way to short for your draw length. Your next board bow should be your draw length doubled + 12" to be on the safe side.

You need to make a tillering gizmo so you won't hinge the next one in mid limb like you did this one.

I knew it was too short when I started. Like I said this bow started out as a scrap piece of oak buried in the back of the shop. I had to make a much shorter splice than I thought would work in order to keep some length. And I never expected to be able to bring it to my draw length, I was planning on keeping the draw length shorter, but it doesn't seem to mind going right to full draw. To tell you guys the truth given the material, the short splice, and the short length, I'm surprised it held together at all. Time will be the true test of its mettle though. I half expect it to blow up when I take it shooting in the spring.

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 01:11:59 am »
I find it very helpful to overlay pictures with elipses in every step in the filleting process
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 01:34:33 am »
That is a pretty piece of "Scrap" I like the finish,she has nice color.  Good work !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington