Author Topic: Step through, push-pull, bow stringer: How many ways to skin a cat?  (Read 13035 times)

Offline Matt S.

Re: Step through, push-pull, bow stringer: How many ways to skin a cat?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:24 pm »
Push/Pull on everything unless it is too heavy or reflexed/recurved. Then I usually make it with double nocks and use a stringer/long string. Have never used the stringers with leather pockets on the end because I'm afraid they'd slip off.

Here's an example of the double nocks I mentioned:

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 02:06:44 pm »
My .02 is that if I'm stringing something like a laminated recurve, I'll use a stringer that is designed for it. I know for a fact that years of stepping through will twist a limb on a glass recurve. Seen it too many times. Push/pulling a glass recurve can be a good way to break a limb tip. On my longbows, I push/pull. I'm always careful to protect the limb tip when I do. I have a longbow stringer just in case, but I rarely touch it. If I can't push/pull it, it's probably too heavy for me to shoot anyway. Now if we get into warbow territory, I'm going to go ahead and put in the extra string grooves and use a long string as a stringer, then get out the ibuprofen and take a few, so they kick in by the time I'm done shooting.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 08:03:23 pm »
I once broke a bow using a stringer. Those Selway types un-evenly load the limbs. The bow broke mid limb. I was standing in front of a mirror cause I was curios to see... I found out!

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 11:08:04 pm »
I use push/pull on anything up to 55# anything over that I usually step through...Just being honest....
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Traxx

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 11:17:40 pm »
Push/pull for me too.
I hate havin to find a dang stringer.they are never where ya need em.I will say,that a stringer is probably best for beginners,untill they get the PP down.As for needin em for heavy weight bows,an old timer told me,when i was young,that if ya cant string it,ya probly shouldnt be shootin it.This was regarding the P/P method.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 02:06:03 am »
step thru for me,don't like how push pulls can bend the limbs unevenly...scary!!   Bow stringer who???