Author Topic: first 2 trapline catches  (Read 3260 times)

youngbowyer

first 2 trapline catches
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:30:56 pm »
I decided to start small with trapping so I could mess around with different sets and techniques. I bought 3 110 conibear traps a few weeks ago and put them to  use. Caught 2 squirrels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6mYmEjSdLQ&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIaAmifqRYo&feature=relmfu

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: first 2 trapline catches
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:01:44 pm »
Awesome man......you have been doing it all....very impressed.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:06:38 pm »
Nice work, Youngbowyer.  In your videos, you remind me of myself when I was your age.  Its good to see you with a 110 conibear in your hand, versus a Nintendo DS.  Young man in 24 hours, you just provided food for a day to yourself.  Hopefully, you have friends that you can pass this along to.  Do you live in Michigan?  I have an 11 year old that would love hanging out with you!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 01:28:05 pm »
Way to go on the traps!  Many years ago (50s) while in high school I ran a 100 trap line along a frozen river.  Could use skates to make the trip two times a day!  I had several different kinds of traps, from spring traps, snares, and box traps.  One of the first things I learned is that prey animals such as rabbits, pheasants, squirrels, are not as apt to be concerned with trapping area scents as predators and fur bearers.  When trying to catch coons, yotes, and bobcats, I found that scents on traps caused major problems.  The feds trap problem wolves here and they boil all their traps and are very careful to not leave any sign or sent in the sets.  If you want to catch a wylie old fox you need to practice leaving NO scents.  When on my outback jaunts I used to always set snares using the rubber off my slingshot and many times that put meat in the pot.  Trapping has its rewards as you already know!  Good luck!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 02:32:14 am »
Great job!!  very impressive!  Have you ever watched the  Wilderness outfitters channel?  Thats Dave Canterberrys   videos. Lots of interesting stuff there.
 :)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:20:02 am »
Very cool,nice work young man. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

youngbowyer

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33:52 am »
Great job!!  very impressive!  Have you ever watched the  Wilderness outfitters channel?  Thats Dave Canterberrys   videos. Lots of interesting stuff there.
 :)
Yes, i do watch his channel. very cool videos he  puts out there. Was able to snare my very first rabbit yesterday after some failed attempts and after weeks of trying. Put some picture wire on a run and snared a rabbit right around his neck. He'll eat good!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:27:50 pm »
Great job YB!  Keep up the cool posts.  When I get a chance I'll sub. you on YT.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:50:06 pm »
Thats awsome well done buddy! Keep up the videos I really enjoyed them you seem to really know your trapping :D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

youngbowyer

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:47:51 pm »
Great job YB!  Keep up the cool posts.  When I get a chance I'll sub. you on YT.
Thanks. I think ill focus my channel on bushcraft put I would like to get some primitive skills on camera as well. Might try to film a squirrel hunt this weekend.