Author Topic: 'Trapping' the back  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Bevan R.

'Trapping' the back
« on: January 20, 2012, 01:58:55 pm »
I have seen a lot of mention of this. I understand the idea but is there a 'formula' of back to belly for the trapping?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline aaron

Re: 'Trapping' the back
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:10:35 pm »
i don't think there is a formula as such, but the relative widths of back and belly would depend somewhat on the relative strenghts of these parts. So if you are trapping Black Locust, where the belly is a little weak, you might make the belly 1/4 to 1/2 inch wider. But if you put a willow back on an ipe belly, your ipe would be very narrow, with a much wider willow back.
($50 to the first one who posts a full draw pic of a willow backed ipe)
((I'm home sick today which is why i am responding to every post I can today!))
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:14:12 pm »
I don't think there is a formula for trapping. It would depend on the characteristics of the wood you are working with. On the boo backed tri lam I built I trapped the back to about 1" wide and the belly was about 1 3/8".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline druid

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:36:15 pm »
I often do sapling bows that are on cross section like pipe cutted threw the half, so I think it could be considered as very traped bows. Cross section is half of the circle, sometimes it had sides, mostly not.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 04:16:00 pm »
The osage pole bow I'm building is like that. I never thought of it that way, Druid but it is true. That's why these sapling bows work, narrow back and wide, flat belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC