Author Topic: HB Red Oak Attempt #2  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Strongbow

HB Red Oak Attempt #2
« on: January 17, 2012, 11:56:43 pm »
This is my most recent project that I finished up a couple months ago.  Bow #7 for me.  66" ntn, 58# @26" Reflexed during glue up and still holds 3/4" after resting.  Seems to have a bit of hand shock, or it could just be that it is 20# heavier than my last bow :)  Finished with vinegar/steel wool stain, and spar urethane.  This is the 2nd attempt at this wood combo, simply because I had cheap access to both.  The first one shot sweet but started to crysal badly in mid limbs due to poor tillering and has been retired as a wall hanger.  This one shows a couple small crysals but they have not been getting worse.  Take a look and tell me if you think it is a tiller issue or the bow is overstrained with this wood combo/design.  Hickory backing is about 1/8", limbs 1 7/8" to mid limb tapering to 1/2" nocks.  8" stiff handle.

Also here is my new bow rack made from black walnut I cut at my grandfather's place (the rest is curing for next year's bowmaking), and my new set of target arrows I finished up.  Hand tied fletchings without glue, self nocks, brass bullet points, and black walnut hull stains. 

Thanks for looking!  Pointers welcome on the bow design.  Hope to share my first self bow with you all in the next couple weeks.

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
Re: HB Red Oak Attempt #2
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:04:25 am »
i really don't see anything wrong off hand with the tiller i bet it is the hb being too thick for red oak to hold up to. but i don't do alot of backing of my red oaks. just lucky i get less than 1.25 in set in mine lol
doc

Offline gmc

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:41:58 am »
YouR bow looks perfect to me, well done.

Nice arrows as well.
Central Kentucky

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:26 am »
Great Job. Love the brass arrow tips!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:44:21 am »
Bow looks great, awsome looking rack :o
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:11:50 pm »
Nice lookin bow, Cool tips on the arrows too.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »
Nice looking bow and arrows!
The RO is probably chrysalling because it is being over powered by the hickory. Red Oak is not the best compression wood, so if you make another Hickory backed Red Oak I'd thin the backer strip to less than 1/8" (about 3/32").

Another thing to consider is the degree of difference in "Red Oak" boards (I'm assuming this was from a board and not a stave). There are many species of Oak sold as "Red Oak" and some are better than others. This species variation combined with the natural variation in density between two trees of the same species leads to some "rolling of dice" when buying red oak boards. In my own experience I've made RO board bows that turned out fantastic, and others using the same or similar designs that either chyrsalled or took lots of set.

I really like the finish job on your bow, I've been wanting to do that for a while. Looks great!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 02:30:05 pm »
Great looking tiller. The back is a touch too thick, but I dont believe it caused the chrysals. Red oak is just plain difficult to build bows with. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 02:56:18 pm »
i think the hickory is just overpowering the red oak, thin it and trap it should make a differance, bow look's nice as well as the arrows, the rack is cool to, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »
Are the chrysals on the lower limb, the third nearest the handle?
Tiller shape should be determined by the way the limbs taper in width. Yours appears (can't tell from pics) to be the same width until just past mid-limb then tapers to the nocks. If i'm right then your tiller is a little off, as in there is a little too much bending going on near the handle.
Parallel limb width limbs should have an elliptical tiller eg as you move away from the handle towards the tips the bend should increase. This is because this style of limb taper means you also have a thickness taper eg. it gets thinner towards the tips. The real key is to remember that as wood gets thinner it can safely bend further. Think of a paper thin shaving...it can bend in a full circle and not be damged. Get the traditional bowyers bibles - they explain it better than me.
If the problem was purely the hickory overpowering the oak and your tillering was perfect then you would have small chrysals everywhere. If they are only in one spot then only that one spot is being asked to take too much compression. 

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:41:33 pm »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Mike-I think your diagnosis is correct, there are only a couple crysals and they are in the 3rd of the limb closest to the handle.  I suspected it might just be a really slight hinge that I didn't notice during tillering or shooting in.  If I try this wood combination again I will use my planer and take the backing strips down to 1/16 or 3/32.