Author Topic: How much reflex is to much?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline ojibwatbowyer

How much reflex is to much?
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:15:07 pm »
Working on a short HHB sinew backed bow about 48 ntn. I induced some reflex before applying a heavy backing of moose leg sinew during christmas, and after curing for a while I decided to work on it today. Problem is there is some much reflex that its side profile looks like its strung backwards. I floor tillered it as best I could, but bracing it is not happening. I put a 12 strand 50 dacron on it (My current set up wont allow for a long string) and the bow over powered it, maybe to many twists, not enough strands, lack of experience?

Im guessing a lack of experience. Either way, the sinew job is good, not my best but it will hold up to the tension. I am wondering though if the belly can handle compression?
Ill try to upload some pics shortly

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: How much reflex is to much?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:22:40 pm »
If you cant brace it its too heavy still, keep floor tillering. I dont believe there is ever too much reflex, within reason, 1-6".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 01:56:01 pm »
Well in my opinion there is a such thing as to much reflex. If the bow is highly reflexed it will make a very fast bow but at the same time puts a lot more stress on the bow. Let's say you have six inches of reflex, if you string the bow up to say six inchs of brace height in that case that means the bow is now under 12 inchs of bend and if you were to draw it to 28 inchs, the bow is actually drawn to 34 inchs.
I like osage

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »
Just my opinion... but heavier woods that are elastic can really benefit from reflex, lighter mass weight woods is not worth the added stress on the limbs. :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 02:32:03 pm »
Just my opinion... but heavier woods that are elastic can really benefit from reflex, lighter mass weight woods is not worth the added stress on the limbs. :)

Agreed.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 03:51:30 pm »
   To much reflex dose but exture stress on your limbs. I can't say how much with sinew it might not matter. I've sinewed a few bows but never paided it no mine. Maybe the sinew takes up the exture stress on the wood. I don't really know. But it seams it would.
  But I can tell you about staves (all wood). I've been reflexing stave while green for around 15 years. I learned it from my friend crooket arrow. He told me his people had did saplings and staves like and passed it down for who knows how long. Right away I wanted to but 8 I even did some with 10 inchs and did.
   When he saw what I'd done he just laughed. He told me after past  4 or 5 inchs that the reflexing damaged the wood. He was old shool and did'nt know what wood cells were. But he was right I found out those bows ended up with a little theyed end up with exture set and string follow. Since those first couple staves I've learned to stay 2 to 4 inchs. I useely try 2 or 3 white white woods exspecially the ones that already have good tention keep the reflex better.     
   Even though 4 is ok with woods like osage. I still only put 2 or 3 inchs. With white woods and a hot box 3 inchs I can keep a good inch of reflex. With wood like osage with good tilllering I can keep a good inch also. I have had osage staves that kept almost all the reflex but thats no adverage.
  A ich or so's on the adverage but as you know
  WOOD IS WOOD
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline ojibwatbowyer

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:03:05 pm »
Got it to 49lbs at 24, gonna tweak the tiller a bit and go for 25 26 draw. Looks good, to bad the weather here sucks, cant shoot it in for a few more weeks yet till the indoor range opens up again. So i guess just keep working it in till the tiller settles. Put the red pigment on and a tuft of horse hair and call it a day.