Author Topic: Pine pitch adhesives or other sources?  (Read 1625 times)

Offline bushman

Pine pitch adhesives or other sources?
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:47:34 am »
I know there has been topics on here before about pin pitch adhesives but my slow dial up Internet is taking forever to load pages from this site. I was wondering what you use for your adhesives and if anyone has tried pitches from other species of trees or just from pine trees. Out back I got two spruce trees that have got a lot of pitch on them. Anyone ever try spruce before? I have read a few different ways of making the adhesive but what way is your favorite way? Thanks
Bushman

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Pine pitch adhesives or other sources?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:27:36 am »
I think they would work.  I've only watched videos.  That has "he set the yard on fire" written all over it :laugh:

I've heard that it it smells like pure pine essence while cooking.  While I like the smell I don't know I want it permeating my house or ruining my grill either.

I buy 5 min epoxy and a tube of black acryllic craft paint.  Mix as normal and ad a drop or two to the epoxy.  If you add too much it will turn to like chewing gum.  Keep the alchohol ready to wipe messes with.  Looks just like a black pine pitch.

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:44:06 am »
Tightbond glue is my choice. Any epoxy would work.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:56:36 am »
Give it a try ,that should work,mix it with some parafin or bees wax/deer talion and fine ground charcoal or deer/rabbit dung for body/filler. If it is to sticky add more filler if it is to brittle add more pitch,it takes a little time to get it right. Don't boil it ,just good and hot to mix. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:26:46 am »
I made it once, didn't use the dung, just resin/fine ground charcoal/ crisco.  Turned out ok but I think was a little brittle.
Fun process though.
1’—>1’

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:49:54 pm »
Any conifer pitch will work for pitch glue.   Collect the hard brittle stuff to make pitch glue and pitch varnish. If you use the gooy stuff your glue and varnish will be sticky when cured.
  Depending on where you live and the relative tempature of your area different mixtures are needed. You will have to experiment.  I use about (never measured) 2 to 4 parts pitch to 1 part bees wax and 1 part finely ground charcoal. The bees wax will make the hard, brittle pitch more maliable without being too sticky and the charcoal gives the mixture more body.
  If you can only get the gooy stuff, you'll have to cook it to eliminate the terps so it will become hard. Be very careful cooking pitch because it is very volatile and will combust if it gets too hot. Probably best to cook it outside.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 02:33:30 pm »
Follow Pat's advice.  I used 2 prts. pine sap, 1 prt. bees wax and 1 prt. ground fine charcoal that I got out of my fire pit.  I've heard said not to use charcoal from the store, use real wood charcoal.  Get it good and hot and mix it up.  I broke chop sticks in half, from the buffet, and while it's cooling, stick the chop stick in and start twisting it and dipping and what ever it takes to get it to stick to the chop stick in a big glump, kinda like a candle.  Once cooled you can heat w/ fire and use.  Do it outdoors, it can make a mess if not careful and it's flamable.  Good luck.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bushman

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 02:17:29 am »
When you guys use your knifes that the blades have been hafted with pine pitch glue does the glue get soft from the heat from your hand? Because the blade on one of the two knives I made gets loose when you use it because the glue turns soft. Did I just not cook it long enough? Thanks.
Bushman