Author Topic: Red Elm Question.  (Read 1574 times)

Offline WoodBenderDW

Red Elm Question.
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:35:34 am »
I have a red elm stave that I started working on and without thinking It has ben left out in the cold garage without heat.  By the way, I'm in London Ontario.  Does anybody have any experience with what might happen.  Is it possible that I ruined it by leaving it in the cold garage? Is it going to be too dry?  If it does get too dry, can it be revived?  I also want to add that I do not have a moisture meter to check the moisture of the wood.

Offline half eye

Re: Red Elm Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:22:23 am »
woodbender, I use a lot of red elm as well as other woods....all mine is stored in my unheated wood shed....never had any problems. I live in Northern Michigan, just south of the straights so it gets pretty cold here as well. Once I start to work a bow stave, I keep it inside the house....but away from the heat as much as possible.  Around here the humidity is generally high though even when it's below freezing....  for what it might be worth
rich

Offline gmc

Re: Red Elm Question.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 02:37:48 am »
You can calculate the moisture content of any wood pretty close by taking the average relative humidity along with the temperature over time. There are places on the internet that will do that for you. Just goggle "moisture content of wood" and look for the page to enter your average RH & temp and it will get you pretty close. The data below shows yearly averages, morning and afternoon far as humidity for your area, but in colder weather the humidity drops. I'd average the last three weeks or so on both numbers to find the moisture content. I'm not sure with red elm but I'd venture to say anywhere between 6 to 9% should be fine.

Maybe some of these other guys can help with that, just not experienced enough with red elm to know.   

London, Ontario 86% morning-65% afternoon- yearly average (quick search) not sure about the temp.

Be sure to post your results.

Good luck and hope that helps.
Central Kentucky