Author Topic: Stringing a longbow with a hurt back  (Read 4318 times)

Offline Chuck Jones

Stringing a longbow with a hurt back
« on: July 30, 2007, 12:13:49 pm »
I have recently hurt my lower back.  Shooting the bow doesnt bother me, however, stringing the bow with my stringer does hurt.

I was just wondering if anyone has a idea for a bow press for a longbow that would enable me to string my longbow?  I am rapidly approaching the golden years and I just dont have the strength that I used to have.   Thank you for any replies..chuck
Chuck Jones San Antonio, Texas

SimonUK

Re: Stringing a longbow with a hurt back
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 02:34:28 pm »
You could use the step-through method if your bow is long enough.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 04:56:39 pm »
There have been a few bracing jigs posted in the past that should work for you. I believe Marc St Louis posted one of them.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:42:08 pm »
Chuck,
What sort of stringer do you use?
I find a simple double loop string stringer to be about the easiest on my back of all. Maybe you could rig something up so you could use such a stringer and pull down? maybe use a stringer and a pulley to pull the bow enough to slip the string on? Reversing the stress on your back may work?
Mark in England

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 07:22:29 pm »
Mark,

I made to stringers out of sash cord.  On one I attached leather loops for stringing my firberglass longbow.  On the other I have loops in both ends that I use for a long tillering string for the self bow I am trying to build.  I had thought about filing another groove about 1/8" across the back of the bow to attach the loops to just havent decided if I want to do that yet.

Then I thought about using my tillering tree and my present long stringer to pull the bow so I could put a string on it  I could probably use a racheting web tie down to that.  Several ideas I am going to explore...chuck

Robinwho

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:18:23 am »
I have a slipped disk and I use the step through method with no bother on bows up to #60

Offline Chuck Jones

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 10:41:30 am »
Pat B.--thanks for the tip I found the jig for the longbow.  I didnt find any other.  I guess there are just so many ways that it can be done...thanks...chuck