Author Topic: 4 volume set of BB, and a PSE Mustang 55# Merry Christmas to me !!!  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Jtilley

• WV country boy missing the hills.............
My sweet , darling wife gifted me with a 4 volume set of the Bowyers Bible, and a PSE Mustang takedown in 55# so I would have something to shoot while I was building a bow ( she's awesome by the way) I was wondering if I could get your input on arrows/ rest for the PSE ? I will be reading alot , hopefully I will start a board bow very soon :) MERRY Christmas Everyone !!!!!!
Some is Good , More is Better, Too much is Just Right....
John

Offline osage outlaw

Re: 4 volume set of BB, and a PSE Mustang 55# Merry Christmas to me !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 02:46:34 pm »
Nice presents you got there. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 04:50:16 pm »
Sounds like your lady is a keeper. ;D  If you plan to transition to a self bow I'd not use a rest at all.  Shoot off the shelf.  You'll need to put something on the shelf to quiet it.  The loop side to stick-on velcro works in a pinch, or you can order rest shelf material from 3 Rivers Archery on the web.  If the bow is center shot you might want to build out the riser with a little leather or cork to help it shoot more like your selfbow will.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 07:19:28 pm »
Sounds like you have a great wife. I'd shoot carbons with that bow. They'll give you the best flight without having to do a lot of work. That way you can get your wood bow finished. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jtilley

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:27:32 pm »
Thanks fella's  :D

I was wondering if it would work to just shoot off the shelf, and I will stick with carbons for this bow. I will try to post pics at some point.  ;D
John

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:41:24 pm »
By the way, the reason I recommended shooting off the shelf is to make it easier to transition to the self bow because the bow will shoot differently off an elevated rest than off the shelf.  Not a big deal, but my glass bow has an elevated rest and it did take some practice to go to the self bow and I wouldn't be comfortable moving between the 2 without that practice time.  Anyway, you may still have to work through some tuning issues on the PSE if the riser is cut past center for fletching clearance.  If you're new to instinctive shooting a fully adjustable rest might be the way to go now that I think about it.  What do you think Eddie?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jtilley

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 11:12:03 am »
I have shot archery of all types since I was just a kid. I grew up with a variety of fiberglass recurves, I even had a bow for a couple of years that I made from a birch sapling when I was 11 or so. I won a state conpetition when I was 16 with my first compound an old Bear Whitetail. I then moved through a variety of compounds but they just don't satisfy like the real thing. So I have been slowly reverting back to the world of stick and string. I have made a few light poundage red oak board bows, and one 40#pyramid style (it failed after about 75 shots :( ). So, now I am equipped with a nice recurve , and the written knowledge to build a good self bow. I have been lurking on this site for quite awhile , and I am looking forward to someday being a contributer, and not just a taker :)  Happy shooting everyone !!!!  ;D
John

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 09:36:00 pm »
 I would just put a velcro cushion on the shelf with a toothpick under the center and shoot it. The most you will have to get used to is shooting a little more to the right then you are used to if you are right handed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Jtilley

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:41:01 am »
Put velcro on the riser and shot about 75 times with a feather fletched carbon arrow. I am very pleased at this point. I have read thru page 53 of volume 1 of The Bowyers Bible............... I am learning way more than I even thought possible, and I'm just getting started  ;D
John