Author Topic: Pre-made bows?  (Read 7353 times)

Tom Anderson

Pre-made bows?
« on: July 15, 2008, 05:33:23 pm »
Can any of you refer me to some places that make pre-made wood-composite bows?
I have Rudderbows on my list - any others?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pre-made bows?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 05:35:38 pm »
Dryad, pine hollow, 3Rivers                 Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 05:50:12 pm »
Tom
I've sent you a private message
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 06:58:13 pm »
If I'm allowed to say this, good, if not, please delete... I have purchased many glue ups from Dryad, and they are absolutely top shelf. If you want to tiller a R/D bbo or bby, give them a try. They are definately worth EVERY PENNY.
The ones from Rudderbows are cheaper, but in this case, you get what you pay for.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:07:05 pm »
never had any problem,that i didnt cause, with any thing from jim at rudderbows as of yet.

less expensive doesnt always mean cheaper. i dont have gobs of cash or access to trees so i buy stuff,mostly from rudders just cause its less expensive.jmho

peace,
                                                                       tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Tom Anderson

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 11:28:14 pm »
Thanks, guys.
To those of you who sent me PM's, I will respond within a couple of days or so.

I'm not really interested in doing any tillering work, but I wouldn't mind shaping my own grip and finishing a bow myself.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:38:15 am »
try 7 lakes.  i think he's in n.c.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:17:09 pm »
Hi All,

Not wishing to start another thread, but here's a question for you all.  Do any of you know a supplier who can supply osage roughed out selfbow blanks?  I know it seems like cheating, but I would need to get it/them shipped over here to the UK, so I think that it would be far more weight efficient for postage to get hold of roughed out blanks.

I realise that for you guys in the US osage is falling out of every hedgerow, but getting a piece capable of being made into a selfbow over here is like finding hen's teeth or rocking horse droppings!   ;D :( ;D :(

Thanks all!

//Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline agd68

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 06:27:14 pm »
wolf-archery also has U finish bows
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Scowler

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:20:11 am »
I'm currently using a hickory/bamboo longbow I bought from 3 Rivers.  I believe it was made by Rudderbows.  So far I have shot around 2000 arrows with this bow with no problems.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 11:25:36 am »
Hi All,

Not wishing to start another thread, but here's a question for you all.  Do any of you know a supplier who can supply osage roughed out selfbow blanks?  I know it seems like cheating, but I would need to get it/them shipped over here to the UK, so I think that it would be far more weight efficient for postage to get hold of roughed out blanks.

I realise that for you guys in the US osage is falling out of every hedgerow, but getting a piece capable of being made into a selfbow over here is like finding hen's teeth or rocking horse droppings!   ;D :( ;D :(

Thanks all!

//Bob
I can relate to your problem since I live in the desert.  Gary Davis sells some wonderfull osage blanks. They are all roughed out and ready to start tillering and final shaping.  There is no extra wood and the weight reduction will save you some $$$.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 12:45:58 pm »
You might even see if Gary would cut the splices and ship them unglued, that way the package is only half as long.  He could probably put a wood blank in each splice so it wasn't damaged.  A small tube of epoxy and you'd be in business.

I'd also throw out Genesis longbows as a maker of fine bows of natural materials.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 12:47:17 pm »
Hi Fellas,

Thanks for the replies.  I have sent some emails to various suppliers as listed in PA, but the news doesnt look too good.  General prices seem to run at about $160-170 per unit, but the real kicker is that shipping back here to the UK is in the region of $100-150 via UPS.  Guess I'll just have to stick with backed bows and whitewood bows eh?   ;)

Thanks all!

//Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline bushrod

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 10:00:27 pm »
There is a company named woodlandarchery that sells almost exactly what rudderbows sells in bare bones and kits and almost exact same prices.  I have seen no reviews on woodlandarchery but I know from personal orders that rudderbows quality and customer service has went down hill fast lately. Maybe woodlandarchery is better, goodluck with them and leave a message if u do try dealing with them. I am curious if they are just another name for rudderbows or a child spin off company because of all the negative feedback about rudderbows. Also try 3rivers archery out. They have excellent reputation as far as I know.