Author Topic: Trapping bamboo backing?  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Trapping bamboo backing?
« on: December 24, 2011, 03:16:08 pm »
Is it possible to trap bamboo backing? I mean sand the back completely flat? The reason I ask is because awhile ago I glued up a bamboo backed red oak and some fellas on here expressed some concern over the wood combination. They mentioned making the bamboo as thin as possible. Well the backing strip on there was looking kinda thick and the rounded back seemed like it would concentrate strain in the center of the limb causing chrysals on the red oak belly. so I was wondering if I would be able to save it by sanding the back thinner and flatter

Stringman

Re: Trapping bamboo backing?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 03:19:14 pm »
Not my limited experience. I think it would lead to failure at the nodes (have had that happen to me.)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 03:24:55 pm »
IMO..
I would sand it down to thin it. Then back the bamboo with heavy paper or thin rawhide to keep it together. I have had bamboo overpower a belly on a bow.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 03:27:13 pm »
Sand it flat and then back the backing with something very thin (antelope rawhide, kraft paper, silk) to prevent the splinters from lifting at the nodes?  I imagine it would also change the tiller, so you also have that to consider.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 03:48:46 pm »
I would agree JW. It will need re-tillered.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.