Author Topic: Hickory backed ipe & Titebond III  (Read 5649 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Hickory backed ipe & Titebond III
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:38:10 pm »
I am about to tackle my 5th bow and want to do a HBI. After reading up on all the glues, I think I am going with the Titebond III. I do have one question, though. In an earlier post someone used this combo with good luck, but someone replied in the topic that Titebond breaks down at higher temps. This is my question. If I build this bow and all goes well...(big if)...Do I have to worry about shooting it this summer in 3-D shoots on 90+ degree days?

Also I know it depends on the width, but how short can I safely made this bow for a 27" draw with +/-45#. I would like to make it about 60".
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline PatM

Re: Hickory backed ipe & Titebond III
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 12:13:56 am »
It would take more than 90 to damage it. It seems like TB 3  is practically the industry standard for backed Ipe bows.
 You'll have no problem with your draw length/bowlength if your tillering is halfway decent.
 You'll see guys making Ipe bows that are only double the drawlength,

Offline NTProf

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:32:39 am »
I shot a bamboo-backed Ipe this summer here in CO, when temps were in mid 90's. No issues at all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:42:00 am »
TB glues break down at 150deg(F). If it is not too hot for you to shoot the bow is not to hot for your bow...BUT DO NOT leave it in a closed vehicle braced or in direct sun for a long time. If an unbraced bow feels hot, DO NOT string it until it is completely cooled(inside and out).
 I built a few hickory backed ipe, using TBII and TBIII and never had a glue failure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:49:21 am »
Thanks, guys. That makes me feel better. I didn't want to have to fool with mixing epoxy. Once more question for those of you who have had experience with the Titebond products.  I picked up some plastic wrap at U-haul the other day and was going to use that for the glue-up. I don't have any innertubes which is what I would rather use. I saw a post from someone who said you shouldn't use plastic wrap with Titebond because it needs to breathe. Then I saw a recent post where they used plastic wrap for the glue-up with no problems. Any thoughts?

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:15:30 am »
TB glue is a water based glue. As the glue cures the water has to go somewhere. If you wrap it with a non breathable material the wood will get the bulk of the moisture.
  Also, keep your limbs narrow. 1 1/2" or less would be ideal. If you make the limbs too wide your limbs will end up too thin, in some cases  the belly thinner than the backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:41:36 am »
I guess the water would be forced into the hickory back, then, and hickory doesn't react well to additional moisture. Is that what you mean?

OK, then I assume you recommend the inner tubes or similar material that would permit breathing. I could use clamps...I probably have enough, but am worried about not getting a uniform glue distribution. It's pretty cold down here and my shop is not heated (or at least not to 65F or above), so I will need to use a heat box for the glue up. I have Styrofoam ready for a box similar to the one on PoorFolksBows. What temp do you recommend for the Titebond and what material do you use to wrap the bow with that the heat won't bother?

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:24:30 pm »
Is inner tube really that hard to find?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:28:37 pm »
You can use the plastic wrap but leave spaces between each wraps so it can breathe. I like inner tubes because of its elasticity. Wrap it as tightly as you can and it still doesn't leave you with glue starved joints. Inner tubes are free at most bicycle shops. Use a pressure strip over the backing to help get an even glue line and be sure your gluing surfaces are well matched and smooth.
  On the TB bottle it recommends air and material being over 45 deg(F). I think room temp(about 70deg should be adequate. If you use a hot box probably less than 100deg.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 02:19:14 pm »
Thanks, Pat B and the rest of you for the help. One light in the box should be enough and I figured there was a good place to get inner tubes without buying new ones.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:48:12 pm »
If you don't go too hog wild with the amount of excess glue you can use Ace bandages or the equine leg wrap type tape...all are good at stretching tight, they breathe and they can be re-used. 
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:13:19 pm »
That's a good idea, Lee. On this one, though, I will probably overdo the glue...paranoia of not enough. I think I'll make a trip to the Schwinn store or maybe a truck stop for used inner tubes I can cut strips from. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:19:55 pm »
i've wraped them in strech wrap then the tubes, worked fine and keeps the tubes from sticking, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹