Author Topic: Osage recurve  (Read 2683 times)

mikekeswick

Osage recurve
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:59:08 pm »
This is a bow that I made a few years ago and was really pleased with at the time. It was fast but a little shocky. I think that was mainly down to the overly large and thick recurves. Anyway I was looking at it and thinking about some little tricks i've learnt since making it and thought reckon I could get something else out of it performance-wise.
So off came the sinew, heat treated it to get it reflexed before sinewing and to give a little extra weight to re-tiller it , trapped the back and reduced the recurves quite a bit, it's now 3/8ths at the nocks themselves. I also adjusted the width taper somewhat.
I've just got the first couple of sinew layers done and have kept it thin on the limb edges with most going down the centre of the limb to try and get it strained a bit more than it if was left flatish as before.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage recurve
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:01:54 pm »
Im starting to enjoy facelifts more than new builds.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 05:11:38 pm »
Very nice sinew work! Glad you're tillering that one. I hate bending through that much reflex.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:30:43 pm »
Man that looks like its going to be a dandy! I agree excellent sinew work!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 05:38:07 pm »
Boy, I can't wait to see that thing braced and drawn!!

Offline juan lopez

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:49:01 pm »
your bow is very nice, how to make the stay as flat sinew

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:52:07 pm »
Mike that is looking awesome and definitely one of the best sinew jobs that I've ever seen

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:11:51 pm »
Smoothest sinew application I have seen.  Nice work.

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 07:15:08 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm hoping for good things from this one.
It used to be my favourite bow for a long time but I just kept looking at it and thinking umm... if I just did this and that it would be....just have to see how it turns out. Maybe too much reflex? The sinew has only been on for a day and i'm hoping it doesn't get too much more when dry.
I'm also thinking of cutting 1/2 - 3/4 inch of the tip length to lighten them and should help with stability but we'll see?

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 07:23:26 pm »
your bow is very nice, how to make the stay as flat sinew
I made a comb type thing out of a few small blocks of wood with a section about 1x1 inch of tiny brass nails arranged in a grid. They stick through the base by about 1/8th. When you have seperated all the strands by hand then arrange the bundles and comb the ends with that tool.
Then soak bundles in warm water for a few minutes.
When limp use a normal comb (metal is best)with fairly widely spaced teeth to comb it out so all strands are parallel. I have a piece of granite kitchen worktop which works well for the combing but anything flat and smooth will work. Repeat!
Then coat really well with hide glue and comb out again and lay on bow. If it isn't on perfectly then use the comb to straighten the fibers. It helps to have a bowl of warm water handy to keep comb free from glue between bundles.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 08:30:51 pm »
I saw a japanese bowyer on youtube yousing a comb on the sinew, your job is everybit as nice as his on the hornbow he was working, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 07:41:58 am »
Man that is looking nice,already looks quick. ;) ;D ;D Very nice sinew job,about as smooth as I have seen.Can't wait to see that baby back in action. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 08:36:28 am »
Boy that is going to be nice.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 09:10:30 am »
That looks great...
Don't think I havn't spotted the one hiding up top left of the picture waiting to pounce on the unwary.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.